Making Money With Your Music

Before you rant, READ THIS!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

admin
Site Admin

Making Money With Your Music

Post by admin » Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:30 am

Question: How do I get paid when other people record my songs?Answer:Contrary to popular belief, songs are not "sold" to the artists that record them. In fact, artists who record "outside" songs, pay nothing for the privilege – until records are sold.Question:How do I get paid from record sales?Answer:Payments from record sales are called mechanical royalties and are paid by the record company to the publisher of the song through the Harry Fox Agency. The royalty rate is set by congress (the "statutory rate") and is at this writing set at 8 cents per song. Therefore if you had one song that was written and published solely by you on a million selling album, you would earn $80,000 in mechanical royalties.Question:How do I get paid from radio airplay?Answer:Performance royalties are collected from radio and TV broadcasters, etc. by the Performing rights organizations ASCAP, BMI, or SESAC in the United States (each country has its own P.R.O.). The P.R.O.s distribute these payments to their member songwriters and publishers based on formulas that calculate how many people have been exposed to the song. A number one pop single might earn as much as a million dollars in performance royalties in its biggest year.Question:How do I get paid from film and TV usages?Answer:That varies widely depending on the kind of show or film using your music. Money is earned in two ways: the licensing fee, paid up front to the writer/artist, and the performance royalty, which is distributed to the writer by a performing rights organization ( ASCAP, BMI, or SESAC in the U.S.).For More: http://www.taxi.com/faq/makemoney/#q1