Promotion

Before you rant, READ THIS!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

admin
Site Admin

Promotion

Post by admin » Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:26 am

Question:How do I promote myself as an artist?Answer:Any way you can. Success in the music business at any level requires dedication, persistence, energy, and passion. It simply isn't good business to wait for an audience to find you. You must reach out to your audience and find them.Question:How do I get my music on the radio?Answer:Radio has always been one of the most difficult nuts to crack in the music industry, and with many radio stations now being owned by a small number of corporations that make centralized programming decisions - it's not getting any easier.Question:How can I build a fan base?Answer:Get out there and work at it. Offer to play clubs for free that are reluctant to book you. If you win over the crowd (or bring a healthy crowd of your own) they'll have you back. Do this in an ever-widening regional circle, returning on a regular basis, and you will eventually build a regional fan base.Question:Do I need to hire an outside marketing company?Answer:Probably not. It doesn't require an expert to do the kinds of self-promotion that many artists have used to achieve local and regional success.Question:How do I book my own gigs?Answer:Call club owners and bookers and send them a CD. Offer to play for free if they are reluctant to take a chance on you at first. Offer to trade gigs with popular bands from nearby towns. When you get a gig, market the heck out of it and get as many people in that club as possible Build and maintain a comprehensive mailing list of your fans.Question:How do I get a booking agent to book gigs for me?Answer:Booking agents can be hard to come by. Ask club owners and bookers at suitable venues for your kind of music which booking agents they work with. Make contact and send them a CD. All the better if you can show that you are already drawing well on your own.For More: http://www.taxi.com/faq/promo/