Management

Before you rant, READ THIS!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

admin
Site Admin

Management

Post by admin » Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:21 am

QuestionDo I need a manager?Answer:Managers become necessary once you've got a record deal and you need an advocate to represent your interests at the different departments of a record company. They help to coordinate efforts and get maximum results at radio, retail, and publicity. Many labels will want an artist to have a high-powered manager before a record is released and will often recommend top managers.Questions:At what point should I get a manager?Answer:Most of the manager's duties and responsibilities come into play once an artist is generating income - especially through a record company association, but also for active local and regional artists who are touring and selling product on their own. Therefore, many people think it isn't really necessary to have a manager until there is an income-producing career to 'manage'.Questions:What are some key points in a management contract?Answer:Most managers will take between 10% and 20% of an artist's gross income - including record royalties, publishing income, and touring and merchandising income. There will sometimes be a "sunset clause" i.e. a declining scale of payments due to the manager over a few years should you decide to fire or part ways with him (or her).