NEED Road Rally Advice

From the desk of Michael Laskow.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

johncimino
Active
Active

Re: NEED Road Rally Advice

Post by johncimino » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:54 pm

Ditto on the business cards. Two years ago was my first Rally. I must have been the only one there without business cards. I looked like a big dufus.

One tip on CD's: Make sure your jewel case is a full-sized, not slim one. Have your name and the title of the CD/song on the spine. Music supervisors/producers keep often have big piles of CD's, and labeling the spine makes it easy to find yours. Give them every opportunity to see your name!

Best wishes!
John Cimino

www.twojohnsmusic.com

Cat Herder
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Cat Herder » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:58 pm

This year I am really going to be more interested in business cards than I have been in the past, but only if you have demos on-line that I can listen to. It has now come to the point I can no longer handle hundreds if CDs. They have become a sludge pile that I look at in dread (not a happy thought I know, but a real one) I really prefer a plain white (easy to read) business card with your name, phone number, site or TAXI page, and above all your e-mail address. Personally I do not need your address at this point. If I like what I hear I can get that later. In place of your address you might consider putting some information about what genres you feel most confident in, i.e. Orchestral, Soundtrack, Hip Hop, Contemporary Pop, Country Vocals, etc. I can place the stack right on my desk and when I have the inspiration I can pop a card and have a listen.

This all said; you should bring CDs, and plenty. When I accepted CDs I preferred thin line ones, square, not round. They are easy to stack as well. Make your CD's "easy to read", and put your track genres on the cover so the reviewer can see, by the track, what to listen to. Match your label to the cover incase the reviewer gets them confused. A couple years ago I accidentally dropped a box of demos and had some CDs with nothing to identify them. Unfortunately I just had no idea what was who.

One last thing I would like to suggest; be respectful. Some mentors and panelist have drop boxes. Use the drop box for the CD, and the face to face time to get acquainted. When I did take CDs I just walked over to the box and dropped them anyway. I seldom, if ever, remember a person by the CD (except that hot blonde, but that is another story). You may consider a photo in the case. If you had a productive chat it may help the person remember you. Make sure the photo looks like you, not some glamor shot that really is touched up beyond recognition. Don't be pushy or insistent if the mentor suggests he or she is not accepting CDs or music. I have a tendency of remembering those people. After all we are people too. If you are polite and respectful you will get all we have to offer.
Carpe Diem

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:40 pm

johncimino wrote:Ditto on the business cards. Two years ago was my first Rally. I must have been the only one there without business cards. I looked like a big dufus.

One tip on CD's: Make sure your jewel case is a full-sized, not slim one. Have your name and the title of the CD/song on the spine. Music supervisors/producers keep often have big piles of CD's, and labeling the spine makes it easy to find yours. Give them every opportunity to see your name!

Best wishes!
John Cimino

http://www.twojohnsmusic.com
Hi John
I'm going to disagree here as far as CDs for the ROAD RALLY. You are correct, that for music supervisors, the full size case with labeling on the CD spine is best. But at the road rally, many of the guests are traveling and may have loads of CDs given to them. So I think slim cases or even paper sleeves are better. Keep their load light for the road. Maybe bring most in slim cases or sleeves and a few in full-size jewel cases in case a unique and special situation comes up. (JMHO) ;)

Of course, if you are an artist with professional CDs already packaged nicely in full size jewel cases, that might be different—especially if you are seeking a label deal.

Best & See Ya Soon!
Casey

Cat Herder
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Cat Herder » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:40 pm

Agree with Casey
Carpe Diem

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World