New to home Recording

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Nyela

New to home Recording

Post by Nyela » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:42 pm

Hi

I am a singer / songwriter who had a lot of lyrics with no music and no band so I decided to start looking for
pre-made tracks instead of looking for a band to work with here in FL that wants to play original music that crosses r&b/indie soul/folk and more. I found some really cool R&B tracks and last month decided to try my hand at home recording. Ok so I put a couple songs together and would like some honest feed back to know if my lyrical style of writing has salability

This is a sample of R&B (vid not great just random images for fillers)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... mHJGTD2jgY

Indie Sample (Rare Love Anywhere) collab with friend from Sweden via internet
http://www.iheartradio.com/new2/artists/i/242256

Thank for any helpful opions

sedge
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: New to home Recording

Post by sedge » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:02 am

Hi Nyela,
Great vocal, top energy.

A couple of minor times it felt like the vocal was clipping (too loud) and distorting.

The backing track is probally mastered so it will need to come down to allow for the extra volume of your vocal

If not this, try putting the mp3 back into a new project and play it to see if you get any red overs. Sometimes the mp3 conversions add a db or two.

Rob

cardell
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cardell » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:09 am

Hi & Welcom Nyela,

You are a talented artist! :)
sedge wrote:I didn't quite understand, it is possible to get a whole backing for a song done to sing over? How does that work with fitting into the song ?
Yes, there are construction kits you can buy (loop libraries) like this:
http://www.bigfishaudio.com/detail.html?512588

It's impressive that you are able to write songs to existing tracks Nyela.

Stuart
Cardell Music
Image Image
“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

nick.moxsom
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nick.moxsom » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:19 am

Hey, Nyela, and welcome.

Hopefully you'll find this forum as much of a fount of wisdom as most of us do. Feel free to pitch in with your opinions of other people's work also – another pair of ears is always useful.

You have a nice voice. I could only hear the first track cos for some reason, to play the radio tracks, my mac needs a Quicktime plug-in that doesn't appear to exist, so I can't comment much.

I wish I could hear more (maybe you could put them on a Taxi page), cos if your up for collaborating, you could definitely do justice to some of my stuff. There's also a lyrics only forum, in case you hadn't noticed, and a collaboration corner, where you might find people to work with. I personally have learnt in the last year that it's working with other people that keeps me on my toes and stops me from becoming complacent.

Look forward to hearing more from you on this forum.

Nick

sedge
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sedge » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:25 am

cardell wrote: sedge wrote:
I didn't quite understand, it is possible to get a whole backing for a song done to sing over? How does that work with fitting into the song ?

Still don't get it

Not a diss on your song Nyela, just never seen anything like this before.
Are there lots of songs in film/charts etc that anyone can go to a website and get the complete backing for and make say another version?

Don't quite get what the site is about, isn't the making of the whole thing the fun / why we do it?

+ how can the music be copyrighted and licensed exclusively if anyone else can go and buy and use the same riffs and groove melodies etc?

cardell
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cardell » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:48 am

sedge wrote:
cardell wrote: sedge wrote:
I didn't quite understand, it is possible to get a whole backing for a song done to sing over? How does that work with fitting into the song ?

Still don't get it

Not a diss on your song Nyela, just never seen anything like this before.
Are there lots of songs in film/charts etc that anyone can go to a website and get the complete backing for and make say another version?

Don't quite get what the site is about, isn't the making of the whole thing the fun / why we do it?

+ how can the music be copyrighted and licensed exclusively if anyone else can go and buy and use the same riffs and groove melodies etc?
Oh..oh..I may have let the cat out of the bag here...:lol:
It's what many of the high output [cue] composers are using. :oops:

There have been loop libraries for years (as you probaly know) and I guess these construction kits were the natural progression of this kind of product. Once you purchase these products...they are fully licenced for you to use in your productions.

I've been buying these kinds of things since the '90s. You simply mix up different loops from different CDs (Sony Acid is great for this), put some filters on the tracks (gates, verbs, delays, etc) to make them sound different then play and sing something over it.

It's a relativley inexpensive way to create great sounding tracks...yourself! ;)

Stuart
Cardell Music
Image Image
“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

sedge
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sedge » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:13 am

I get ya,

and for licencing? Say an ad company wants exclusive to your track because they like the bass groove for example, how can you let them use it exclusively, you can't right?

and copyright? you can only copyright half your tune? how does that work?

I know use of samples in stuff of course, but the whole track bass, drums, guitars, solos ect ? all put together , can that ever be claimed as your own works etc ?

I must be stuck in my ways : D

Sorry for being a dummy, guys

sedge
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sedge » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:20 am

Sorry not to detract too much from song here Nyela. Just had another listen, great voice. Deffo look at the poss clipping in volume.

cardell
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cardell » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:24 am

sedge wrote:I get ya,

and for licencing? Say an ad company wants exclusive to your track because they like the bass groove for example, how can you let them use it exclusively, you can't right?

and copyright? you can only copyright half your tune? how does that work?

I know use of samples in stuff of course, but the whole track bass, drums, guitars, solos ect ? all put together , can that ever be claimed as your own works etc ?

I must be stuck in my ways : D

Sorry for being a dummy, guys
These are smart questions Sedge... :)

The simple answer is: you need to read the licence agreement from the sample/loop company (they vary from company to company)

This is from the Big Fish Audio site:
And from the very beginning, Big Fish Audio has sold license-free sounds. Your purchase of our product IS the license: if you've bought our product through a legitimate source, you have the unlimited right to use it in your musical compositions. Unlike some companies, Big Fish Audio does not require you to fill out clearance forms or pay additional license fees, even if your song goes straight to number one on the charts! Please see our license agreement for full details.

Yes, I realize that this is a different way of aproaching composition. It's knd of comming more from the DJ angle (if that makes sense). But, when you combine it with your own playing and singing, you won't believe how your output increases. ;)

Stuart
Cardell Music
Image Image

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:15 am

Hi
I didn't get to listen yet but wanted to comment.

There may be some music libraries that won't accept tracks made with samples such as from Big Fish Audio. I'm pretty sure I've seen questionaires on submissions with respect to this.

Even though Big Fish gives you license, signing an exclusive deal might be an issue because how can multiple people have exclusive deals using the same backing tracks?

I don't know a whole lot about this-- I'm sure others will chime in.

My *GUESS* is it's best to use these backing tracks for writing and replace them with original tracks later.

Best,
:) Casey