2/2 return from screener 226 ( possible refund? )

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Kelil
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

2/2 return from screener 226 ( possible refund? )

Post by Kelil » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:25 am

I got a return for the following listing *see below review*. First off, he says in the review that it wasnt in the style of the bands mentioned in the listing. Yet...the listing didnt ask for songs in that style of music but it asked for songs with VOCALS a la Lykke Li etc etc. and to have beach boy harmonies and retro influences such as 60's jangly guitars. Thats what I have...60's jangly guitars and beach boy harmonies. But the 60's jangly guitars were designed to sound current which he didnt feel they did.

I dont know how he thinks the sound quality was not great or current because it was and was mixed and mastered to be current in sound quality by a 7 time grammy nominated engineer. He says nothing screams 2011 in the songs and yet Fleet foxes are 2011 with retro hints? Plus the lyrics dont scream the ''now?'' huh? I mean...I could take a modern song from Arcade fire. Take those lyrics and put them to almost any tune from any era but they still are the ''now'' lyrics because they were not obviously written by me in the 60's.

I think the screener was lazy at reading the listing or it's me thats missing the listings requirements and his points said with great intentions. I think that a possible refund is in order. What do you think?

She Blew Me Away: Good, upbeat vibe and feel. The first verse works well. The second verse could be shortened to keep the energy moving forward more. After the second chorus a new bridge/middle 8 could take us away from the already established chord structures and melodies instead of the solo section, which "retells" the verse - this new bridge could keep the listener engaged more.

Busy With my Own Dreams
Cool feel and groove throughout the song. Good verse melodies. The chorus kicks in well and is memorable and the central message is related in a personable way.
One could think about shortening the solo section and/or last verse, but overall, the song flows.

Style:The songs feature many elements of classic rock and classic SInger/Songwriter songs (60's and 70's). We were looking for more contemporary, offbeat indie rock in the vein of the artists mentioned in the listing, for example, Lykke Li, Foster the People and Coconut Records. *note*: Screener 226 did not tick any box under ''style'' but decided to leave a comment instead. is that permitted?

Overall Comments: Hey Stephen, in a way it is quite amazing that these songs are songs that were recorded now, because almost nothing here says: "2011". Neither the sounds used, melodies, instrumentation, arrangements, or lyrics hint at the "now".
In general, I don't see that as a bad thing, but this particular listing was looking for possible retro "hints", not full-on retro production and songs. To make the songs more viable for more contemporary listings, I feel the aforementioned elements could be revised and modernized.
I wish you good luck with everything.

OFFBEAT, PLAYFUL, INVENTIVE INDIE ROCK SONGS with VOCALS a la Lykke Li, Foster the People and Coconut Records needed by eclectic Film/TV Publisher servicing youth-oriented TV series and advertising. Your hooky songs must generate a feel-good, upbeat vibe with an underlying 'Lo-Fi' coolness. This doesn't mean muffled or distorted recording quality, but is more a creative approach that connotes a certain innocence, a wry optimism and a happy-go-lucky tone. Please listen to the references! Keep your Male or Female vocals friendly and distinctive. Arrangements should be inventive and can contain retro hints (Beach Boy-style harmonies, psychedelic Nico lead vocals, 60s jangly guitars) but should most definitely be CURRENT, with clever, thoughtful lyrics that appeal to today's positive but reticent young adults. Minimal synths, if any please. Broadcast quality only (good home recordings are fine). You must own 100% of your master recording and composition. Please submit one to three songs online or per CD, include lyrics. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI and must be received no later than Wednesday, November 23, 2011. TAXI #S111123IR

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: 2/2 return from screener 226 ( possible refund? )

Post by davewalton » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:14 pm

I agree with the screener in that the listing said that the songs CAN contain retro *hints* but "should most definitely be current". To me, "can contain retro hints" means that the retro is optional but if done, must just be a few smatterings of retro (like maybe the guitar equivalent of an old Wurlizer electric piano or Farfisa organ in the background). The emphasis was on being current though. Also, when they list bands (ala's), that's what they're looking for. In other words, they'd use music from those groups if not for the cost of licensing. So... they're looking for the closest alternative.

One thing to consider... if the screener was "lazy" when returning your submissions, was he/she also lazy when forwarding others? Did they deserved their forwards? It can't be both ways. If the screener was competent when forwarding others, I can't be that he/she somehow lapsed into laziness only when listening to those (or yours) that got returned. ;)

I haven't looked to see if anyone posted their forwards but if/when they do, give them a listen and you'll probably get a better idea of what made the cut. It's not always easy to hit the target but somebody always does. 8-)

Kelil
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Kelil » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:32 pm

Thanks Dave

First of all I'll be honest with you and say that the music isnt current as todays bands but is full on retro. But it's current in sound and the listing did not say ''current in style of music with retro hints as the bands mentioned''. All of my guitars were current in sound and NOT authentic to the genre.

Secondly. The listing said ''with VOCALS a la''. simply saying that... ''if they reference those bands then they dont just want the vocals they want the music of those bands to be in your submission'' doesnt cut it for me and it's false advertising to just say a la VOCALS. I would not have submitted for the listing had I known they were looking for the style of music of those bands. If they were looking for that then they should have stated it in the listing description.

The fact he has forwarded others for this listing does not matter here at all. What matters is that the listing itself was false advertising. I dont care about the forward or return. I'm not looking to press taxi to reconsider and forward me for the listing. I'm pressing taxi for a refund for false advertising as far as the listing is concerned.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:52 pm

Kelil wrote:Thanks Dave

First of all I'll be honest with you and say that the music isnt current as todays bands but is full on retro. But it's current in sound and the listing did not say ''current in style of music with retro hints as the bands mentioned''. All of my guitars were current in sound and NOT authentic to the genre.

Secondly. The listing said ''with VOCALS a la''. simply saying that... ''if they reference those bands then they dont just want the vocals they want the music of those bands to be in your submission'' doesnt cut it for me and it's false advertising to just say a la VOCALS. I would not have submitted for the listing had I known they were looking for the style of music of those bands. If they were looking for that then they should have stated it in the listing description.

The fact he has forwarded others for this listing does not matter here at all. What matters is that the listing itself was false advertising. I dont care about the forward or return. I'm not looking to press taxi to reconsider and forward me for the listing. I'm pressing taxi for a refund for false advertising as far as the listing is concerned.
Stephen
I think you misread the first sentence in the listing. It wasn't saying that just the vocals should be 'a la' those artists, it was providing the usual 'a la' list for overall songs submitted.

To start accusing folks of false advertising is WAY off base here. They described what they were looking for and your submissions weren't close enough. Get over it. You've had lots of success with forwards in the past. Sometimes our submissions are on-target, sometimes they are not. It's all part of being a mature professional in this biz.

Deep breath!
:D Casey

Kelil
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Kelil » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:02 pm

Casey H wrote:
Kelil wrote:Thanks Dave

Stephen
I think you misread the first sentence in the listing. It wasn't saying that just the vocals should be 'a la' those artists, it was providing the usual 'a la' list for overall songs submitted.

To start accusing folks of false advertising is WAY off base here. They described what they were looking for and your submissions weren't close enough. Get over it. You've had lots of success with forwards in the past. Sometimes our submissions are on-target, sometimes they are not. It's all part of being a mature professional in this biz.

Deep breath!
:D Casey
''OFFBEAT, PLAYFUL, INVENTIVE INDIE ROCK SONGS with VOCALS a la Lykke Li, Foster the People and Coconut Records needed by eclectic Film/TV Publisher servicing youth-oriented TV series and advertising.''

It was looking for indie rock songs that are offbeat, inventive and playful with vocals and my songs are indie, inventive and playful but seeing as you think it was providing the usual a la list for overall songs submitted another example of a listing I got forwarded to in the past says different ( see below ):

''INDIE ROCK SONGS a la the variety of Animal Collective, Band of Horses, Low Water, etc.,''

It seems that when they say a la vocals in a listing they mean vocals, but when not looking for those style of vocals they make it clear then in the beginning that: ''INDIE ROCK SONGS a la the variety of Animal Collective, Band of Horses, Low Water, etc.,

sedge
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sedge » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:11 pm

Kelil wrote:It seems that when they say a la vocals in a listing they mean vocals
hey dude, what Casey is trying to show is the listing is not saying ala Vocals, it is saying Vocals then ala ... the bands
Kelil wrote:OFFBEAT, PLAYFUL, INVENTIVE INDIE ROCK SONGS with VOCALS a la Lykke Li, Foster the People and Coconut Records
so the listing says they are looking for songs with vocals (no instrumentals) ALA .. Lykke Li, Foster the People and Coconut Records

cwatwemeenlike ? hh : (

Happy New Year and Merry Christmas man BTW!!

Kelil
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Kelil » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:26 pm

sedge wrote:
Kelil wrote:It seems that when they say a la vocals in a listing they mean vocals
hey dude, what Casey is trying to show is the listing is not saying ala Vocals, it is saying Vocals then ala ... the bands
Kelil wrote:OFFBEAT, PLAYFUL, INVENTIVE INDIE ROCK SONGS with VOCALS a la Lykke Li, Foster the People and Coconut Records
so the listing says they are looking for songs with vocals (no instrumentals) ALA .. Lykke Li, Foster the People and Coconut Records

cwatwemeenlike ? hh : (

Happy New Year and Merry Christmas man BTW!!
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you Sedge.

No the listing is not coming at you like that at all. Take a look at the beginning of many listings looking for songs with lyrics
''INDIE ROCK SONGS a la the variety of Animal Collective, Band of Horses, Low Water, etc.,'' There is no mention of Vocals a la here at all.

The listing reads like they are looking for vocals in the style of the bands mentioned but NOT in the STYLE OF MUSIC of the referenced bands. If they are looking for the style of music along with the vocal style then they should state that and make it crispy clear in the listing.

sedge
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sedge » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:29 pm

you just scrambled my brain : )

sedge
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sedge » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:35 pm

I get you now (I think )

Your saying the listing reads to you as ...

Give us Vocals in the style of ....

As in just the Vocals ( the music behind does not HAVE to be in the style of )

?

We would expect this in that case ...

OFFBEAT, PLAYFUL, INVENTIVE INDIE ROCK SONGS , VOCALS a la Lykke Li, Foster the People and Coconut Records

?
Last edited by sedge on Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kelil
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Kelil » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:42 pm

sedge wrote:I get you now (I think )

Your saying the listing reads to you as ...

Give us Vocals in the style of ....

As in just the Vocals ( the music behind does not HAVE to be in the style of )

?
Thats exactly what I am saying. They are looking for Indie Rock songs but not indie rock songs in their style. Just indie rock songs in their style of vocal.