Reality check. . .1, 2

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

YellowSofa

Reality check. . .1, 2

Post by YellowSofa » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:15 am

Hi Taxi peoples,

I'm just putting out a representative sample of a song, because I listen to the sophistication of recording techniques and the pristine clarity and contemporary sounding styles of everything I hear on Taxi and feel like I just arrived from 1974.

But I'm interested in how this sounds. It's about as good as I know how to do right now, but, I want to crack the limits that are keeping it from being ready for Taxi level consideration.

http://michaelsilverstone.bandcamp.com/ ... iday-comes

Michael

mikeymike2000
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Reality check. . .1, 2

Post by mikeymike2000 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:33 pm

Hi Michael,

This is all about learning and growing and getting tips for others so you are in the right place. Welcome. :)

For me this was pretty distracting because of the panning. I can see this song working for a scene for the right listing with the following suggestions:

1) Make it all stereo. Remember TAXI is all about film/TV so stereo is the way to go unless you have the fancy stuff that can do surround sound wooshes.

2) Bring up the levels on the drums (possibly bass too)

3) Tighten up the harmonies and maybe add a touch of reverb to the main vocal. Not too much though.

It has potential and I did liked it after I got in the zone. Keep at it.

(Additional Edit): what program are you using to record? it is not a super big deal but will help in suggesting things.

YellowSofa

Post by YellowSofa » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:08 am

I have been using Garage Band and was just settling for all the vocals to be in one channel, because I didn't know how to get them in both, but I followed some directions in a Garage Band forum and made duplicate mono tracks, then panned them +32 and -32. Apparently you can also chorus a vocal track and it will put it in both speakers/earphones, and that may be something I may experiment with another time, I'm not sure if it would be as good, though. This is great to know and it is a step forward for sure, and not just for this song.

Improved version. . .

Also the reminder that the harmonies could be tightened (that's a nice way to say it) was really important, because I was settling for o.k. because its just my ears, and after an hour or two, I think, that's better enough.

Your comments were really helpful--. Thanks a lot for taking the time. I'll be sure to pay it forward.

Michael
Last edited by YellowSofa on Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

cardell
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cardell » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:36 am

Some vocal tunning (Melodyne/Autotune) would really help this. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFCbOMYMXGo

Stuart
Cardell Music
Image Image
“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

YellowSofa

Post by YellowSofa » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:09 am

Thanks Stuart,

I checked that video and found out how to use tuning enhancement for Garage Band. Good stuff. I feel like Rebecca Black now-- in a good way.

cardell
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cardell » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:27 am

YellowSofa wrote:Thanks Stuart,

I checked that video and found out how to use tuning enhancement for Garage Band. Good stuff. I feel like Rebecca Black now-- in a good way.
Great, I'll be interested to hear this track again. :)

Stuart
Cardell Music
Image Image
“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

mikeymike2000
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by mikeymike2000 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:59 am

YellowSofa wrote:
Improved version. . .

Also the reminder that the harmonies could be tightened (that's a nice way to say it) was really important, because I was settling for o.k. because its just my ears, and after an hour or two, I think, that's better enough.

Your comments were really helpful--. Thanks a lot for taking the time. I'll be sure to pay it forward.

Michael
Awesome, this is a good step forward! I agree with Stuart and look forward to another listen with the vocal tweaking.
Working in isolation like most of us do it is tough to know sometimes when something is ready. Like anything it is all about practice.