Instrumental : min. 2 minutes, still need a button ending?

Songwriting, songwriters, etc

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

burkeproductions
Active
Active

Instrumental : min. 2 minutes, still need a button ending?

Post by burkeproductions » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:25 am

FINALLY getting some recording time for a few of my piano pieces, trying to get the most out of my sessions. Does anyone have a rule of thumb when recording instrumentals for how many versions might be needed for various submissions? I've got a few that are straight grooves but not complete arrangements. Should I craft a button ending for everything? Should I create a 2 and 5 minute version? Thanks!
Lisa Burke
Rocker Mom and Dim Sum.......

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Instrumental : min. 2 minutes, still need a button ending?

Post by davewalton » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:31 am

burkeproductions wrote:FINALLY getting some recording time for a few of my piano pieces, trying to get the most out of my sessions. Does anyone have a rule of thumb when recording instrumentals for how many versions might be needed for various submissions? I've got a few that are straight grooves but not complete arrangements. Should I craft a button ending for everything? Should I create a 2 and 5 minute version? Thanks!
Definitely write an ending rather than a fade or whatever. You won't need a 5 minute version for anything. The basic rule of thumb is to create pieces between 2 and 3 minutes in length. If you get a deal and at that time if they ask for alternate versions (shorter or with less instruments or whatever), you can do it at that time. It doesn't really pay to do a bunch of alternate versions, stems, and timings in advance because only certain libraries will want or use those.

Hope that helps!

Dave

burkeproductions
Active
Active

Post by burkeproductions » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:08 pm

davewalton wrote:
burkeproductions wrote:FINALLY getting some recording time for a few of my piano pieces, trying to get the most out of my sessions. Does anyone have a rule of thumb when recording instrumentals for how many versions might be needed for various submissions? I've got a few that are straight grooves but not complete arrangements. Should I craft a button ending for everything? Should I create a 2 and 5 minute version? Thanks!
Definitely write an ending rather than a fade or whatever. You won't need a 5 minute version for anything. The basic rule of thumb is to create pieces between 2 and 3 minutes in length. If you get a deal and at that time if they ask for alternate versions (shorter or with less instruments or whatever), you can do it at that time. It doesn't really pay to do a bunch of alternate versions, stems, and timings in advance because only certain libraries will want or use those.

Hope that helps!

Dave
Thanks Dave, that's EXACTLY what I needed!
Lisa Burke
Rocker Mom and Dim Sum.......

CHuckmott
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by CHuckmott » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:55 am

I have never heard a request for a fade ending. My stuff in the future will likely have button endings only.