Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

remmet
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Is this listing VAGUE or what?

Post by remmet » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:14 pm

Casey H wrote:
I didn't read the word "house" there as genre... I read it as they were looking to build a stable of composers.

:D Casey
That's correct, Casey (according to the message I got from Taxi).

Richard

Cruciform
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Cruciform » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:46 pm

Any chance someone could post the full listing including sub date please? I can't find this one. I remember seeing the email but I don't have it anymore. Is it a dispatch?

remmet
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by remmet » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:15 pm

Cruciform wrote:Any chance someone could post the full listing including sub date please? I can't find this one. I remember seeing the email but I don't have it anymore. Is it a dispatch?
Here you go, Rob.

CLASSICAL POP INSTRUMENTAL COMPOSERS needed by an A-list actor's production company for Feature Films to be released through a Major Hollywood Movie Studio. STRONG string arrangements, and a clear and COHESIVE mood/tone are required. Think instrumentation that creates and maintains an emotional focus, with arrangements that carry a listener from beginning to end seamlessly. Composers signed to the production company as a result of this will have the opportunity to work on all of the production company's upcoming film/TV projects in a co-publishing deal. You must be able to demonstrate a smart sense of structure, instrumentation, and overall production. Broadcast quality is needed (excellent home recordings are fine.) Please submit TWO to THREE instrumentals online or per CD. All submissions will be screened on a YES/NO BASIS - NO CRITIQUES FROM TAXI - and must be received no later than Wednesday, October 24, 2012. TAXI #Y121024PO

Cruciform
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Cruciform » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:53 pm

Thanks Richard. Appreciated. :)

Hmmm.

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:41 pm

remmet wrote:
Casey H wrote:
I didn't read the word "house" there as genre... I read it as they were looking to build a stable of composers.

:D Casey
That's correct, Casey (according to the message I got from Taxi).

Richard
House as in "in house" not "house music". Doh. What a maroon! (Referring to moi!)

Now that makes more sense.

Some people.......... 8-) :mrgreen:
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

markmeilander
Impressive
Impressive

Post by markmeilander » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:39 am

Hi All,

According to allmusic.com:

"Classical Pop is a strand of easy listening music that makes classical pieces more accessible by streamlining the arrangements and emphasizing the melody, thereby making it sweet and easy on the ears."

And Wikipedia:

"Operatic pop is a subgenre of pop music that is performed in an operatic style, or a song, theme or motif from classical music stylized as pop. The term popera and adjectives poperatic and popical (for "pop classical") are used by some media editors and music reviewers."

I spoke with TAXI yesterday and (with a bit of listening between the lines of what they were saying) it seems to me that this is the type of stuff that they are looking for. Instrumental versions of the type of music that would be done by Josh Groban, Jackie Evancho, Andrea Bocelli, etc. Standard PBS pledge week fare.

Of course, I've been wrong before... ;-)

Hope this helps,

Mark
"There is a crack, a crack in everything.
That's how the light gets in"
- Leonard Cohen

Model 77 Productions

remmet
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by remmet » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:14 am

Well, that puts a completely different spin on it. I emailed Taxi again and compared their response to me with the response Mark described above. Let's wait for further clarification (as the deadline keeps approaching!).

Richard

TAXIstaff
Impressive
Impressive

Post by TAXIstaff » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:43 am

Hi all,
Whew! Talk about frustration on this one! I've spoken to the Supervisor personally, and this is the latest refinement of this listing. It is intentionally vague with no a-la's because they are looking for composers with a wide array of music writing skills from Classical to Pop, so that they'll be able to work on a wide array of film material. They want to hear what you feel is your best in both genres. They want the composer, not so much the music that you'll be submitting. The music is to show your writing and production abilities in the two genres. They don't want just a Classical composer, or just a Pop composer, but someone that can compose well in BOTH genres. From the listing:

"CLASSICAL POP COMPOSERS needed by an A-list actor's production company for films to be released through a major studio. STRONG string arrangements, and a clear and COHESIVE mood/tone are required...
...Composers signed to the production company as a result of this will have the opportunity to work on all of the production company's upcoming film/TV projects in a co-publishing deal. You must be able to demonstrate a smart sense of structure, instrumentation, and overall production."

So basically they want two to three instrumentals to showcase your ability to write both with a classical sensibility (to include strong string arrangements) and also be able to compose Pop material as well. The songs don't need to be a hybrid of classical and pop, (or create a new genre) just showcase that you can compose both classical and pop music, and you get three songs to demonstrate this. The deadline is October 24th.
Does this help?
Phil

TAXIstaff
Impressive
Impressive

Post by TAXIstaff » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:54 am

FYI, by classical, they do mean classical movie underscoring, not classical as in Beethoven and Mozart. :-)
Phil

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:07 pm

Well I do underscore but I'm not well versed in pop music. Any pop I do on my own would be inauthentic, just like my "hip hop" feeble attempts!. :mrgreen:

Good luck to those who submit!!
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!