Sure Would Like to Hear the Demo Version of a Hit Pop Song

Songwriting, songwriters, etc

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Razor7Music
Impressive
Impressive

Sure Would Like to Hear the Demo Version of a Hit Pop Song

Post by Razor7Music » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:54 pm

Does anyone here know how close to the original a songwriter records a song written for a Pop artist? In contemporary Pop music the artists use a lot of what I call "frills" in their singing/exaggerated vibrato, etc. I wonder how the songwriter recorded the demo? Did they sing/have it sung straight to leave the song itself as the focus, or did they try to sing in the style of contemporary Pop singers?

Any insight here is appreciated. 8-)
Thanks,

Stephen Davis, Songwriter
Music: here
For Daily Progress Reports on Twitter: @razor7music
Facebook: @r7mStephenDavis

“If everyone likes you, you're doing something wrong” --Jenna McMahon

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Sure Would Like to Hear the Demo Version of a Hit Pop Song

Post by Len911 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:54 pm

Melisma?? Just my opinion, I would choose a singer that best conveyed the emotion and sincerity of the song. The melisma and vocal gymnastics tends to promote the singer more than the song. If my memory serves me correctly, I seem to recall that a demo of a famous song was played on one of the taxi tv episodes. It was a vocal/piano and the song was picked up by Rascal Flatts I think.
I forget who the singer/songwriter/piano player was, famous in his own right, and could have just as easily made the song a hit himself imo, but it was mostly about the song.
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

Razor7Music
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Sure Would Like to Hear the Demo Version of a Hit Pop Song

Post by Razor7Music » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:45 pm

Len911 wrote:Melisma?? Just my opinion, I would choose a singer that best conveyed the emotion and sincerity of the song. The melisma and vocal gymnastics tends to promote the singer more than the song. If my memory serves me correctly, I seem to recall that a demo of a famous song was played on one of the taxi tv episodes. It was a vocal/piano and the song was picked up by Rascal Flatts I think.
I forget who the singer/songwriter/piano player was, famous in his own right, and could have just as easily made the song a hit himself imo, but it was mostly about the song.
That sounds right to me. I appreciate it.
Thanks,

Stephen Davis, Songwriter
Music: here
For Daily Progress Reports on Twitter: @razor7music
Facebook: @r7mStephenDavis

“If everyone likes you, you're doing something wrong” --Jenna McMahon