What is *not* "indie" ?

Songwriting, songwriters, etc

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

mladendomic
Impressive
Impressive

What is *not* "indie" ?

Post by mladendomic » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:32 am

I don't quite understand what belongs to "indie" genre. What are the properties of indie? Or, to ask in more efficient manner: what is NOT indie? What do you guys think? If you submit a song to a listing and you get the comment "this song is not quite indie" what does it mean? How do you know if something is indie or not?

Lazyknife
Impressive
Impressive

Re: What is *not* "indie" ?

Post by Lazyknife » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:04 am

That's exactly what I'm wondering. Every style has it's indie equivilant but what is it that allows you to put the indie tag before that style? What's the difference between indie rock and rock, indie pop and pop. Is there something like indie country too?

Thanks Mladendomic for asking!

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:07 am

Indie- Music that has found success unconventionally by other than traditional mainstream methods. A term now adopted as a genre to capitalize on it's success by the mainstream record label conglomerates, exploitation that creates confusion as to it's origin and meaning, possibly diluting or changing it's current and future definition. :geek:
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

Razor7Music
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Razor7Music » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:24 pm

Len911 wrote:Indie- Music that has found success unconventionally by other than traditional mainstream methods. A term now adopted as a genre to capitalize on it's success by the mainstream record label conglomerates, exploitation that creates confusion as to it's origin and meaning, possibly diluting or changing it's current and future definition. :geek:
Um, yeah. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the term 'indie' came from 'independent record label' and had nothing to do with the genre.
Thanks,

Stephen Davis, Songwriter
Music: here
For Daily Progress Reports on Twitter: @razor7music
Facebook: @r7mStephenDavis

“If everyone likes you, you're doing something wrong” --Jenna McMahon

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:30 pm

yeah I think that's right. independent label.

but think back from there. Indie not major. small budget not big. distinctive not mainstream. perhaps quirky not polished. live band in a room session vs. pristine or pieced together. cool, hip, not Bourgeoisie

I think in a way that describes what we have as Indie music today - the many many styles of indie. Of course, once an Indie band makes it, that is a silly way to categorize them, so I think its now more about the associated style (regardless of how much the band earns) and not the indie record label.

my 2 cents.

Razor7Music
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Razor7Music » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:43 pm

andygabrys wrote:yeah I think that's right. independent label.

but think back from there. Indie not major. small budget not big. distinctive not mainstream. perhaps quirky not polished. live band in a room session vs. pristine or pieced together. cool, hip, not Bourgeoisie

I think in a way that describes what we have as Indie music today - the many many styles of indie. Of course, once an Indie band makes it, that is a silly way to categorize them, so I think its now more about the associated style (regardless of how much the band earns) and not the indie record label.

my 2 cents.
Sounds right to me--because let's face it, when a listing is asking for indie this or that, the last thing they're looking for is something already on a label.

One might also look at the old phrase, garage band. Although most of that was in the Rock genre, the loose band feel was really what that meant--not the venue!
Thanks,

Stephen Davis, Songwriter
Music: here
For Daily Progress Reports on Twitter: @razor7music
Facebook: @r7mStephenDavis

“If everyone likes you, you're doing something wrong” --Jenna McMahon

Lazyknife
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Lazyknife » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:07 am

That's a logical way off looking at it.

So when they're looking for indie-folk, it's folk that's rough on the edges and unique?!
But does this also mean you can't use autotune or go for a smooth mix. Should you go faster though the production and not worry about everything that much? So Lady GaGa (just to name someone) is the anti-indie pop queen? :D

richmstudios
Impressive
Impressive

Post by richmstudios » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:12 am

TAXI's UStream TV episode dealt with this in last night's episode (Monday 01/07) by playing several indie tracks for viewers to hear. It might be helpful to check it out to get a feel for the "indie sound": http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/28316657.

Rich
Rich Martens
| SoundCloud | Twitter | Facebook | Suzanne's TAXI Page |

"Write, submit, forget, repeat."

Lazyknife
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Lazyknife » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:19 am

Thanks Rich!

Haven't seen the last episode yet, so I'll check it out!

AndyKotz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by AndyKotz » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:14 pm

It might be helpful to check it out to get a feel for the "indie sound"
A feel for their definition of "indie"... which is subject to change with each and EVERY screener... :lol:
"After silence... that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible... is music" -- Aldous Huxley

AKMusic Productions
ImageImage