Do You See Any Problem with Making a Song Sound Live?

Songwriting, songwriters, etc

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Razor7Music
Impressive
Impressive

Do You See Any Problem with Making a Song Sound Live?

Post by Razor7Music » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:25 am

Hello--

I've noticed with the song 'Ho Hey' by the Lumineers that the top 40 stations play a lot of the "live" version. I've got a tune now that I think would sound good if I added the crowd in the production and made the tune sound live.

Problem is, I don't want to make the song unplacable (is that a word?) or unforwardable (that should be a word). I guess I could do both, but I'd rather not take the time to make it sound live it would never be forwarded or placed.

Any thoughts?
Thanks,

Stephen Davis, Songwriter
Music: here
For Daily Progress Reports on Twitter: @razor7music
Facebook: @r7mStephenDavis

“If everyone likes you, you're doing something wrong” --Jenna McMahon

Russell Landwehr
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Do You See Any Problem with Making a Song Sound Live?

Post by Russell Landwehr » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:37 pm

Heya Stephen.

I think it would depend on the target. If the target is Film/TV then the live sound WITH the crowd would fall in the category of "sound fx" which an editor is gonna go "no way" and then the chances of it being used is nearly non-existent. For an album pitch where every song on the album is you, then I would think a "bonus live track" could be usable if the studio version is also on the album. To sell your song to someone else to record maybe "live" COULD be okay, but why bother.

That's my barely-educated opinion/view.
Multi-Genre Composer and Producer of TV and Film music Providing Easy to Use Cues for Every Scene

http://www.sensawehr.com
https://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home. ... l_Landwehr
http://soundcloud.com/russell-landwehr

Razor7Music
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Do You See Any Problem with Making a Song Sound Live?

Post by Razor7Music » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:42 pm

Russell Landwehr wrote:Heya Stephen.

I think it would depend on the target. If the target is Film/TV then the live sound WITH the crowd would fall in the category of "sound fx" which an editor is gonna go "no way" and then the chances of it being used is nearly non-existent. For an album pitch where every song on the album is you, then I would think a "bonus live track" could be usable if the studio version is also on the album. To sell your song to someone else to record maybe "live" COULD be okay, but why bother.

That's my barely-educated opinion/view.
Sounds right though. I'm waaaay beyond the artist or singer/songwriter phase of my "career" so it would all be for Taxi submissions. I sort of thought it was a 'no way' kind of thing as you described.
Thanks,

Stephen Davis, Songwriter
Music: here
For Daily Progress Reports on Twitter: @razor7music
Facebook: @r7mStephenDavis

“If everyone likes you, you're doing something wrong” --Jenna McMahon