Help me identify my style

Songwriting, songwriters, etc

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

mxz174

Help me identify my style

Post by mxz174 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:30 am

Hi all, I posted something very similar yesterday and got some good responses! Basically I produce a TON of music, most people tend to like it so I feel like I'm onto something... problem is I donno what I'm onto!

Looking for 'progressive' in a listing description is no good.... I need to find some good words to describe what I'm doing so I can submit to the right listings. So far I've gotten about 5 forwards total out of around 10 submissions. ALL of my returns were due to "stylistically off target".

I know this is a lot to ask of anyone, but if anyone is interested and has the time check out any or all of my works here: http://www.michaelzucker.bandcamp.com, the most recent the better. If you do let me know if any particular song or album sticks out and how you might classify this. I'm looking for descriptor words that match my works so I can go hunt for proper listings.

Thanks again to anyone who takes me up on this!
MZ

AmandaAnderson
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Help me identify my style

Post by AmandaAnderson » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:51 am

Well Done !

I think 5 forwards from 10 submissions is pretty good going for someone starting on here ? I've not been here long myself, but from what I've read 5/10 is GOOD :)

Congrats :)

Amanda & Tony
Tony Anderson | Taxi | YouTube | FB | Twitter |

mxz174

Post by mxz174 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:57 am

I've only been here since last March. Yes I think my track record is not too bad, but out of all those forwards so far 0 call backs :(

I'm just noticing that nearly EVERY return I get says I'm stylistically too off target... so I want to change that, I don't wanna waste my time and money, or the screener's time! So I'm really reaching out here to see if anyone has the time and patience to listen to anything I've done and tell me to what kinds of listings they think I should be submitting this stuff.

Thanks again everyone, I truly mean it! Love Taxi!

MZ

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:24 pm

I'll use the same categories as you do yourself on Bandcamp.. alt.rock, progressive, minimalist (allthough that's debateable.. why not maximalist?)..

Whether that should be YOUR style, meaning something you're attached to or want to be identified with, I won't interfere with. However, a number of submissions for Taxi listings are often written on spec (from the briefs) for the particular listings. I don't know what percentage, but I assume quite a few.

But just to say to me it sounds like pretty good karma to have had 5 forwards with what reasonably(?) could be seen as "niche genres" already, from a back catalogue. I'm personally more of a "slut" in terms of trying to allign my music production with whats going on with the listings at a given time (not saying it's all I do, though).

So, I guess I'm trying to put your post in context and perspective. It may be a limited view, of course..
Ceo of my own life