Writing Melodies

Songwriting, songwriters, etc

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

AnthonyCeseri
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Writing Melodies

Post by AnthonyCeseri » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:06 am

3dproberts wrote:The most fun I have is stealing melodies from the sound of waves at Santa Monica Pier. Then I go to the carousal, baseball toss, etc. By then I,m swimming in melody heaven, enjoying the sounds of laughter, screams, and aching parents. The drive home puts everything in perspective and they all come together in a wash of melodic bliss.
That's a great idea... love it, thanks! :)
Stream my latest singer-songwriter album here: https://ffm.to/anthonyceseri

mladendomic
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mladendomic » Fri May 17, 2013 8:42 am

AnthonyCeseri wrote:Another tip I learned from Clay Drayton when I took the songwriting seminar with him was this...

The more you do something, the better you get at it. So, every time you see a phrase, or a sign -- put a melody to it. It could be traffic signs, common phrases or headlines. Doing this will sharpen your melody writing skills!
I would also add an example: if you do a lot of wrong things, you become better at doing wrong things. :D

I do opposite thing with the words: every time I hear some words that make a certain metrics, I put them into a familiar melody.
My melodies come to me by themselves. I don't know how to force a melody to appear in my ears. :D

suzdoyle
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by suzdoyle » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:09 pm

These are excellent ideas! :-)
Suz