How many mics in your mic locker? Other gear?

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

TimWalter
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

How many mics in your mic locker? Other gear?

Post by TimWalter » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:36 pm

Ok, how many mics in your mic locker? What's the most expensive ? How many do you think you need for home recording of yourself for Taxi submissions?

I personally have a handful (5 I think) SM57's, a couple of 58's (from gigging days), an AT3035, a Blue Spark, a few MXls, an EV CObalt 9, a few other inexpensive mics two AKG C 2000's that I havent used yet (Musicians friend Stupic deal of the day had them at something like $59 ea, so I bought 2). Basically my most expensive so far is the Blue Spark for $199. Do you have a ribbon mic? What do you use for vocals?

What's the first outboard signal chain item you invested in (preamp? Compressor? A/D converter?) and what would you recommend as a first start? I have a Presonus Tube Firestudio, wonder if I might have been better off getting an Apogee Duet, rarely record more than 1 or 2 channels, although I have recorded a full band using all the channels on the Tube Fire Studio, so I guess it was good I have it for those occasions.)
Tim Wolf
Nashville

"Nashville-based Romantic Rebel singer-songwriter making alternative songs for those who need a second chance"

www.thetimwolf.com

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: How many mics in your mic locker? Other gear?

Post by Kolstad » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:22 pm

I have a 57, sennheiser e845, shure sm86, a cheap usb mic and a rode nt2a. 57 on my guitar amps, the sennheiser works as a 58 (just a little darker), the sm86 I got for gigs (but its for sale). I like my nt2a a lot for my vocals, lots of headroom and a little gritty (which suits my voice). the rode works well with acoustic guitar and the amp as well. I might try a Neumann tlm102 next, but no rush. I've tried lots of mics, but the 57, the sennheiser and the rode stays.

I run a tc electronic impact twin interface, which i like lots. enough ins and outs for me and nice converters. I also use a focusrite isa one preamp, which i find very useful with lots of nice features (impedance options, di, fx loop among others). I don't see myself invest in outboard equipment in the near future, as tracking and mixing works really well with my setup as is.

I'll cut it there, don't get me started on guitar pedals!
Ceo of my own life

marcblack30
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by marcblack30 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:31 pm

Four mics:

Gauge ECM-87 - Vocals / Acoustic guitar
SM7B - Vocals / Electric Guitar
SM58 - Electric Guitar
Superlux CM-H8A - Vocals / Acoustic guitar (First mic I ever bought, cheap, made in China, but sounds pretty good, haven't used it since I bought my ECM-87)

I go from my GAP Pre-73 preamp > Presonus COMP16 compressor > Presonus AudioBox 22VSL AI.
-- Marc Blackwell

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by eeoo » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:58 pm

AT 4047 for vox and ac gtr (sometimes)
57 for guitar cab
pair of AT 450's small diaphragms for ac gtr and percussion
AT 3528 omni small diaphragm for something different
I have a Rode NTK that I haven't used since I got the AT 4047

UA 710 pre and most everything goes through an FMT RNC compressor just to tame the peaks at input. Digi 003 or and Apogee Duet.

eo

shanegrla
Impressive
Impressive

Post by shanegrla » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:39 pm

My flagship is my AKG414, which I use mainly for vocals. Sometimes I use it for other stuff (acoustic gtr., handclaps, etc.), but I've got my 57 for those too.

But honestly, I hardly ever use the 57 anymore because I don't really mic much of anything these days. Most of my recording is a combination of direct w/amp sims (elec. gtrs, bass) and in-the-box VIs & sample libraries (Superior Drummer 2, Battery). I've found more and more that's all I need. (Good thing too, because in a NYC apt. you don't have a whole lot of choice in the matter. Can't crank the guitar amps to 11 to get that killer sound!)
iMac 21.5" (2017) Intel Core i7 3.6GHz, 1TB SSD, 32GB RAM
PreSonus Quantum 2 interface
Mac OSX 10.15.6
1 G-Drive Pro 4 TB
2 G-Drive 4 TB
ProTools 2019.9.1
Melodyne 4
Soundtoys Bundle 5
Omnisphere 2
Massey L2007
Superior Drummer 2
Komplete 11U

6string

Post by 6string » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:27 pm

Hi there,

I use a Shure 57 lots on guitar cabs, snare drums and sometimes voice. Another great shure is the SM7. If you play acoustic guitar and sing
an SM7 is great for separation of voice and the acoustic. We use all kinds of great condensers on vocals and sometimes the SM7 sounds better on some voices than a high dollar Neumann. I use ribbons a lot. I like the Royer 121 on electric guitar, and my favorite is the old RCA BK-5A or B .
For character on electric I have recently used an old EV 635 A.

I use a B&K 4011 on acoustic guitar or a Neumann KM84 sounds great. You were asking about ribbons, I love ribbons but to many people they don't have the top end that a lot of condensers have. Ribbons sure have a smooth sound, I think most of the time they sound the most true to the source sound. The most important thing to do with any mic is try some different placements to adjust the tone and level. Even more importantly get your instrument sounding as good as you can to insure what performance you capture sounds good.

I have been in the studio business a long time some my mic cab is setup to cover a lot of situations. If you have a couple of good selections you can cover most bases. A good sounding source and placement are what makes the most difference.

Thanks,

Keith

NathanNasby
Impressive
Impressive

Post by NathanNasby » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:05 pm

I wish I had more time to play with a broader range of mics. Doing so much vocal work I'd really like to find the mic that works for me, but I live in a remote area so renting is difficult.

1 - Lauten Atlantis FC-387 Right now I've been using my for most stuff vocal and acoustic. It does a beautiful job on acoustic guitars and violins as well as vox, and I'm continuing to compare it with my other mics to see if it outshines the others.
2 - Neumann TLM-103 I use mostly for guitars
2 - Rode NT1 ( I still use them a bit for vox and violins)
1 - ART M-Four Tube mic (Like this one for saxophone, flute and brass in general)
2 - AT 3090
2 - SM57 ( Use this a lot for rock stuff)

Above and away though the Atlantis is my favorite mic. It's crazy versatile, and I'm loving the sound I get for recording vocals.
http://www.taxi.com/chameleon

You can't make music fun..... It is fun! You can however make it a drag.

BruceBrown
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by BruceBrown » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:57 pm

Shure 57, 58, KSM44, Green Bullet for harp.
AT 4033
Two Heil mics, not sure of model without looking.
My baby is my vintage Neumann KM84. Works great on any acoustic instr.
A 57 is a must have for guitar cabs. The AT4033 was my first Large condenser, I have used it for over 20 years on hundreds of things a go to workhorse.
The KM84 was an investment that I will never regret.
For blues harp you can't beat the Green Bullet.
Those are the 4 I use 99% of the time.
I run them into API 512C pre amps in a lunchbox, then into Pro Tools.
Thanks for letting me geek out over gear.
Bruce

kclements
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by kclements » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:14 am

I have a very limited mic closet - but I do most of the stuff ITB -

but I have:

1 SM58 - from my gigging days
1 AT 2000b - use for vocals mostly, sometime guitar.
1 Blue Bluebird - use for most everything - vocals, guitar shaker...

would love to get a stereo pair of 414's. Also like some SDC, pencil mics.

cheers
kc
kayle clements

When opportunity knocks, you better be dressed and ready to go!

clementunes.com | taxi | soundcloud

CHuckmott
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by CHuckmott » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:12 am

AT 4033, SHure sm57. Neither get much use these days. AT recently used to record acoustic guitar, other posts advised against recording the AC plugged in.