Edit Points

Songwriting, songwriters, etc

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Zacara

Edit Points

Post by Zacara » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:31 pm

HELP ! I keep hearing edit points should be at 15 second or 30 second intervals. I am wondering how Taxi members do this? It seems to me ( pardon my stupid) that the music must be written and then the timing adjusted to create these cut points. How do you peps out there do it?

Also; I listen to TV commercials on youtube and find they do not adhere to the 15 and 30 second edit point rule whats with that?

MattCurious
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Edit Points

Post by MattCurious » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:43 am

Although I'm certainly not an expert, I'd guess that the YouTube pieces have already been cut to taste?
-------------------------
matt-collinson.com

HowardBHC
Impressive
Impressive

Post by HowardBHC » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:13 am

Hey Zacara. - for what it's worth IMO it is more important to have a good song that fits the criteria of the listing first rather than having edits at a certain predefined interval of time. I try to keep in mind in an arrangement to give good natural edit points be it a build, transition, breakdown, stop etc. depending on the song and arrangement the kind of edit points will vary. The key is to have movement, element change, transition or space - places where the editors can insert or exit from your track. I use my ears to listen for them and my eyes to view the WAV file - if it has no visual edit cues - I feel its more likely to be passed over in the browsing process.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:49 am

HowardBHC wrote:Hey Zacara. - for what it's worth IMO it is more important to have a good song that fits the criteria of the listing first rather than having edits at a certain predefined interval of time.
Yes... Trying to force fit edit points at specific intervals or points in time is not a good idea UNLESS you are writing to spec and the track was requested that way.

The best edit points are usually in between sections. Let's say, for example, you have an instrumental with A-B-A or A-A-B-A or A-B-A-B format. If the editor can start at the beginning of any A or B section, it's helpful.

But nothing should override just a plain old good track.

:D Casey