Opinions for what genre this would be submitted for

Songwriting, songwriters, etc

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

WaddyP
Impressive
Impressive

Opinions for what genre this would be submitted for

Post by WaddyP » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:46 pm

I just finished another new music cue. I did this on guitar for a change in writing style (I am a keyboard player). Would some of you please take a listen and let me know what genre you think this would best fit to submit to. Sometimes I think a piece of music I have done fits a certain genre and then it gets returned saying that it doesn't fit. I am asking for some outside opinions here. I would also appreciate any constructive criticism an anything else, mix, production, etc. Here is the link: https://soundcloud.com/waddyp/monday-blues
Thanks

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Opinions for what genre this would be submitted for

Post by Kolstad » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:12 am

Hi, nice to make your virtual acquaintance :D

Nice track! It sounds great and I think you labeled it about right (funk/blues).

To me it sounds like a track that could be playing under scenes where somebody is doing something, like a mundane chore or maybe going somewhere. The title don't really suggest that, imo, so a more descriptive title may be something for you to consider. Not that my ideas about the track should automatically be taken as valid, but I'm just saying that from a title like "Monday Blues" I would expect a slower more dark piece than this. Titles are all that music supervisors ect have when they choose tracks to listen to, so titling is kinda important for marketing reasons.

On the mix, I thought the rhythm guitar was mixed too forward. I think you could achive more balance by pulling it back a bit (down in volume). Maybe other things come to the fore after doing that, but thats where I'd start.
Ceo of my own life

rdance
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by rdance » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:57 am

waddy, you have a nice laid back groove here that would work well under picture, and doesn't get in the way.

ditto both of magne's comments.

re-title so it matches the feel of your tune...something like 'monday groove' or 'easy monday'.

left channel rhythm git down a bit, and maybe played with a lighter feel so it bounces with the other instruments. sounds like a 9th chord. try not hitting the whole chord...maybe only the 5/4/3 strings sometimes and only the 3/2/1 strings other times. also try sliding up into the chord from a half step below every once in awhile in your strumming pattern.

2 cents

WaddyP
Impressive
Impressive

Post by WaddyP » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:08 am

Thanks for your opinions, it's really hard to be objective as a one man band/engineer/producer/dish washer, etc. I write things and sometimes a title just escapes me and is also hard to decide on. I do understand that it is important for a sup.

CHuckmott
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by CHuckmott » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:41 am

A blues defintely. I wouldn't be afraid to throw some piano to keys on the track, the Hammond organ thing or a standup piano would work nicely.

Skatzsinger

Post by Skatzsinger » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:20 pm

Hey, good to meet ya,

this is a good groove and I agree with the comments above, it would fit under a scene of laid back, nothin' goin' on kinda vibe. Maybe find some TV shows that have similar kind of music in them and see what they do with it to give you more ideas of how to develop your style. Or maybe you could turn on the TV and turn the sound down, pick up that guitar and see what you think fits the scene. Just a thought.

Nothing to add about the mix that hasn't been said already, I like the idea of varying the strings you hit, that works for me. Good to have a bit of variation to keep it interesting. The intro sounds a bit like the guitar on Soul Man. Nice.
Luv and Peas
Andrew 'Skatz' Scattergood
Ireland, bottom left hand corner by the sea

Come and visit the studio and record
Special rates for Taxi members, accommodation too!
http://www.taxi.com/skatz

Bliciouz
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Bliciouz » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:35 am

Hey Waddy,

Great tune! Sounded like blues to me.
It's really catchy I immediatly had lyrics popping up in my head!

Grtz Bert