First Submission

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

shaynefgreen

First Submission

Post by shaynefgreen » Sat May 31, 2014 12:18 pm

Hello all. Ready for my first submission, I think. Looking for some feedback, please.

ACOUSTIC-BASED SINGER SONGWRITER SONGS with MALE VOCALS are needed by the Director of A&R at a Major Record Label for a newly signed artist on their roster. They want to hear songs that would be heard on the same radio station as John Mayer, James Morrison, James Blunt, etc. Quoting the source: "Lyric themes can run a broad range, from relationships, challenges, unique experiences, etc. Don't be afraid to wear your heart on your sleeve." The artist has a soulful quality to his voice, so some rhythmic elements that will compliment his vocal style are welcome.

One Last Kiss
https://soundcloud.com/shayne-f-green/one-last-kiss-v2

dtrain1234
Impressive
Impressive

Re: First Submission

Post by dtrain1234 » Sat May 31, 2014 4:57 pm

Hi, welcome to Taxi! First of all, I gave the song a listen and I think it does have that John Mayer sound but I'll let the mix advice to go the other members on here. I really like the lyrics too but I thought for the last line in the chorus you could ask the girl. For example - Can I have one last kiss before you walk away? Just my two cents but you've got a great idea.

HectorRContreras
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by HectorRContreras » Sat May 31, 2014 7:29 pm

Dear Shayne,

A warm Welcome to TAXI and to the TAXI Forum.

I do not have access to SoundCloud at the moment, unfortunately. :(

HectorRContreras
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by HectorRContreras » Sat May 31, 2014 7:44 pm

Oh I can listen to it from your TAXI Page !

So I am listening to : "One Last Kiss"

Oh it is so Americana, with an irresistible Acoustic Guitar at first. The Sound is very Pro. So neat and clear. You have experience working your Mix to Perfection. This is a Plus indeed.

Very nice development at 0.46 when the second Guitar comes along. It is very well done.

One thing I would say, is that your Voice is less confident when you sing the sudden higher Notes, ... It is just a matter of working on it, and finding a way to sing the higher Notes with something original, or in a somewhat original manner, that would bring about a more confident Sound to the Listener.
Or, to stay within the Notes that you are confident with.

johnlewitt
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by johnlewitt » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:09 am

Shayne,

This is a nicely recorded song. While they don't use the word contemporary in the listing, the artists they are referencing are all modern artists. IMO I find your sound is more classic. Given that, the screeners would most likely return it - they very prickly that way!

John

robbiejhancock
Impressive
Impressive

Post by robbiejhancock » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:34 pm

Hi Shayne!

Great job here man, and way to go for getting in the game! Gigantic hive 5 for that first submission! Good luck man those screeners are tough! Here are a few suggestions from my own experience so far ...

I think this is a good, clean recording with quality enough to pitch to an artist. I do think you are on your way towards the a la of the reference tracks but go back and A/B them some more and put on your publisher hat. Listen subjectively. Great guitar work here but the mondolin is a bit buried in the mix so I would try and bring that up a bit and separate it from the guitar by panning it or adding dynamic effects like reverb. I also think your vocal could be more out front as well and/or the guitars back in the mix. I am sure the others will chime in here as well with some more production advice. Sounds great so far mate!

R
Robbie Hancock
https://robbiehancock.com
Sync or Swim Music
https://syncorswimmusic.com

Robtoons
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Robtoons » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:34 pm

Hey Shane,
Nice tune! Congrats on jumping in the pool and welcome to the forum.
This listing might be pretty high bar, and I think they will be looking for more "current" sounding stuff for it. Sorry to mention the "c" word, but you will be hearing a lot of it around here! I've been battling with it myself since I started.
Remember, write, submit, forget!
Good luck, and nice to meet ya! - Rob

shaynefgreen

Post by shaynefgreen » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:07 pm

Thanks all for the warm welcome and great feed back. I really appreciate it. :D

Shayne

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:10 am

Nice song!

As others have mentioned, this is an ULTRA high bar listing, being for a major label. The would definitely be looking for something more contemporary sounding in the vein of the referenced artists.

Your song reminded me a bit of Jim Croce from the 70's. That's a compliment. :D As you get more and more familiar with Taxi and how to interpret listings, you'll see how to better target your submissions.

Welcome aboard!
:) Casey