Mix Engineering Student Seeks Tracks for Practice Mixes

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

cnpearce

Mix Engineering Student Seeks Tracks for Practice Mixes

Post by cnpearce » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:20 am

Hello,

My name is clyde pearce and i'm a student at Dubpsot.com as well as a card carrying TAXI Member.

I'm coming into the final phase of my Master Producer Program at Dubspot and I need more "real world" material to mix. I'm hoping some of you might be interested in getting a free mix or two or three out of the deal.

What you would need to provide is an mp3 of song, as well all of the tracks in aiff or wav (44.1k and 24 bit) format bounced from zero, well labeled.

What you will get in return is a mixed mp3 and a finished wav or aiff file for each track you submitted. no charge, no kidding.

I can generally mix two to four songs per week, so it's first come first served.

Thank You in advance for helping me cut my teeth in this exciting industry.

if your interested, contact me at mixmaster@cnpearce.com

thanks,

clyde pearce

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Re: Mix Engineering Student Seeks Tracks for Practice Mixes

Post by andygabrys » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:47 pm

Hi Clyde,

With respect - I realize you are likely hunting for school credits et al - but if you are doing pro quality work that someone could actually have licensed, you should ask for more than nothing.

You might also get more interest if you post some mixes you have done already - a private Soundcloud page or something similar.

If you are purely in search of tracks to mix - no doubt you have heard of Mike Senior (and his book "mixing secrets for the small studio" and he has a vast catalog of tracks that artists have uploaded to his site so that people can practice mixing. http://www.cambridge-mt.com/ms-mtk.htm

Also - as a large number of people here write for film / TV ops - they might be running their sessions at 48k. I am sure you realize this and can accommodate it.

For deliverables, you might have to offer the usual package of tracks that any library or publisher will need. For vocal tracks - a full mix and instrumental. Some publishers also require "mastered" stems so that they can remix later.

For instrumental tracks you will likely need to output a variety of alt mixes as well as a stinger, and 15, 30, 60 sec cut downs.

You didn't specify whether or not you would be "mastering" these mixes as well. Most publishers will reject material that they find very low in level and so it has to sound "competitive" to other tracks of theirs in the same genre.

If you are serious about doing these mixes for free, you are signing up for any and all of the above.

Good luck,

Andy

cnpearce

Post by cnpearce » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:25 pm

hi andy,

you know, i thought about some things you mentioned, and i'll bet the successful taxi members already have their mix requirements met. They might need you, but they don't need me.

on the other hand, i'm guessing there are many TAXi members just getting started, or don't have any mixing skills or a service to help their tracks along. so to the extent i can help a few those folks, i'd be happy to do so. what they will get, most likely, is a finished track, and what i will get is some interesting experience. Maybe they just don't have the budget, say, for you, or they just don't know what a good mix can do for them.

Either way, I'm providing a service and receiving pay in the form of experience. It's kind of the American way. role up sleeves, be generous, do a good job, and be good to people.

i don't see why dollars have to enter into the picture at this point, regardless. i'm just trying to be generous with my time with the hope of producing some decent sounding tracks for someone, as an amateur.

So if anyone wants a free mix, contact mixmaster@cnpearce.com where we can discuss the details in private.

thanks,

clyde

ps-appreciate the respect. it does kind of take guts to do this. best wishes.

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:27 pm

Fair enough!

Carry on!! ( just be aware that there are a variety of deliverables)

cheers,

Andy

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:43 pm

One thing I want to urge all participants in something like this is... if you intend to use the final mix/master provided by someone else, you must have a legally valid work for hire signed. Otherwise you may not submit the track to film/tv opportunities, where you have to state and prove that you own and control the master of the song/instrumental.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

cnpearce

Post by cnpearce » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:48 pm

yes, of course. anything else?