My Attempts at 8-bit.

Post by Dillio » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:27 am

burpo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: My Attempts at 8-bit.

Post by burpo » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:26 pm

Hey there.

Fun stuff. If this is for the Chiptune listing however, you have a problem here that is unusual for TAXI.
That is that, even if it is executed in 8-bit, musically it is FAR too contemporary sounding.
Track One sounds like a rave, which could be cool, but what the listing asks for is an 80s period piece of sorts.

Track Two has TONS of usable stuff in it. Just skin off some of the percussion and let the bass line handle the rhythm chores.

Good work, so far!

-b

PS: "Loves Melody" is lovely.
burpo
Stephen Debonrepos
"Flufferpuff" on TAXI TV
http://www.taxi.com/burpo

Long-time hobby musician

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:50 am

Stage 3 - 3

It sounds too HiFi for 8bit to me mainly in the drums..more the kick and the Hi-Hat I think...it doesn't evoke the era they have asked for for my money it sounds more like a techno tune that had all the voices changed.

Also I think there's a more engaging 2 minute edit of this track than the 3 minute version. I would change the drums, shorten the track , build it up and drop things out more.

Road of Wrath sounds much more on the money to me but again the kick sound used just wasn't do-able on those 8bit systems so I would change that part for something more authentic then I think you've got a good tune that sounds like the real deal.

This is my effort https://soundcloud.com/cosmicdolphin/te ... ne/s-3c8C6

Mark

Dillio
Active
Active

Post by Dillio » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:53 am

burpo wrote:Hey there.

Fun stuff. If this is for the Chiptune listing however, you have a problem here that is unusual for TAXI.
That is that, even if it is executed in 8-bit, musically it is FAR too contemporary sounding.
Track One sounds like a rave, which could be cool, but what the listing asks for is an 80s period piece of sorts.

Track Two has TONS of usable stuff in it. Just skin off some of the percussion and let the bass line handle the rhythm chores.

Good work, so far!

-b

PS: "Loves Melody" is lovely.
Thank you for that input!!

Dillio
Active
Active

Post by Dillio » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:55 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Stage 3 - 3

It sounds too HiFi for 8bit to me mainly in the drums..more the kick and the Hi-Hat I think...it doesn't evoke the era they have asked for for my money it sounds more like a techno tune that had all the voices changed.

Also I think there's a more engaging 2 minute edit of this track than the 3 minute version. I would change the drums, shorten the track , build it up and drop things out more.

Road of Wrath sounds much more on the money to me but again the kick sound used just wasn't do-able on those 8bit systems so I would change that part for something more authentic then I think you've got a good tune that sounds like the real deal.

Mark
Too high as tho like the drums are a little too high rez for the N.E.S. Erra? I was thinking maybe of making something that met the limits of the n.e.s. soundchip itself since it only had 2 pulse 1 triangle, noise , and one PCM . I really appreciate that input.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:35 am

Dillio wrote:
cosmicdolphin wrote:
Stage 3 - 3

Mark
Too high as tho like the drums are a little too high rez for the N.E.S. Erra? I was thinking maybe of making something that met the limits of the n.e.s. soundchip itself since it only had 2 pulse 1 triangle, noise , and one PCM . I really appreciate that input.
Yeah you got it, there are samples and stuff out there of the real deal