The crypt

Tell us about your studio and post some photos no matter how modest or robust it is!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

The crypt

Post by Len911 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:57 am

Maybe I should participate before it gets dirty again,lol! The main control area is towards the middle of the room, the desks, tables, some bookshelves are angled, not squared, foam is against the wall, out from the wall, very haphazard, and I store a lot of crap between the foam gaps. My logic, :? ? is that the sound just goes in and around, bounces and absorbs in no linear fashion.

I got rid of the instruments I have, except for the snare in the corner behind a bass trap,lol, all in the box except for vocals. 3 mics, a cascade ribbon, Telefunken tube, and an old M610 Beyerdynamic I bought on e-bay. API mic pre, 3 API compressors, API gate/expander, an Oram Octasonic, 8 ch mic pres, Oram Octamix, 8 ch mixer with main mix and headphone mix. Kinda overkill now, but I use API mic pre and compressor and headphone mix off the Octamix. I love the API mic pre so much, I've never even tried to sing through the Oram :? :lol:

~Len
Attachments
picture2-019.jpg
foam and bass traps just sorta stuck everywhere, against the wall, out from the wall...
picture2-019.jpg (161.91 KiB) Viewed 2918 times
picture2-017.jpg
wiring mess
picture2-017.jpg (196.99 KiB) Viewed 2918 times
picture2-001.jpg
Main view
picture2-001.jpg (222.11 KiB) Viewed 2918 times
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: The crypt

Post by lesmac » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:44 am

Cool Len,

I hope no spiders were harmed in the photo taking process. :lol:

That's the first nano pad I've seen.

That studio has got character :D

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:08 am

That's a very 3D studio with those bass traps!

Rock on!

cassmcentee
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cassmcentee » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:36 am

Great!!!
Love the "Wiring Mess" most of all!
I'm using 4 surge protectors plugged into one 4 outlet box like you... Are we Fools?!? :D
Can't stress enough the importance of backing up our work!!!
Thanks for sharing Len!
Robert "Cass" McEntee
"Making music on a spinning ball of Magma"
https://soundcloud.com/robert-cass-mcentee
https://www.taxi.com/members/DosPalmasRecordings

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:35 am

cassmcentee wrote: I'm using 4 surge protectors plugged into one 4 outlet box like you... Are we Fools?!? :D
I've got 2 SPs into 2 outlets. I guess most houses are a little under-wired :lol:

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:29 pm

The spider's were vacuumed up, I'm sure there are some eggs waiting to hatch,lol, I can't really call it a studio, or at least not with any visitors in mind :o

I have the 4 surge protectors sort of balanced out by what I use at one time. I have another 2 standard outlets, one at top of wall for lighting, and another for battery charger, electric razor, and fan,lol!

I didn't actually capture any of the bass traps in the photos, or much of the wall foam. :shock:

Furniture is low priority, I have an old heavy green metal desk I bought at Goodwill probably 30yrs ago, a monitor sitting on the pull-out shelf from the desk with flower books, a cigar box, and a sweetwater catalog,lol, the audio monitor, keyboard, yamaha keyb, korg pad, and yamaha amplifier, is on an old printer table I picked up at Salvation Army. The rack is a floor-to-ceiling assemble yourself bare bones.

I wasn't going to post anything, I mean all the pictures of these nice clean, showcase studios, :oops: but I don't have many scrupples, and figure others were more likely to post since I've set the low-bar,lol! :lol: That's where I get some good ideas, studying other's studios.
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

Cwadroon
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Cwadroon » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:30 am

Looks good Len. Some very tasty gear!