Submissions

Before you rant, READ THIS!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

sharonmak

Submissions

Post by sharonmak » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:25 am

I'm still pretty new to this. My question...can I submit the same track to several Los tings simultaneously? Or do I need to only submit to one listing and wait to see what comes of it before submitting that track to another listing? Thanks!! :D

kclements
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Submissions

Post by kclements » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:47 am

As long as the cue isn't signed (exclusively) to a library, it is perfectly ok to submit the same cue to multiple listings if it fits the listing. I've had the best luck getting a forward by writing a cue specifically for that listing though. Seems 90% of the time, a cue I had sitting around that I thought would work, didn't get a forward.

I have also had the experience of submitting a cue to a couple listings, getting it forwarded to both, signing it to one library and then getting a call from the other library wanting to sign it. The second library was a bit upset that the cue was already signed, but I offered to write another one and we worked it out. its only happened once, but it's good to know and be prepared to offer them something.

Cheers
kc
kayle clements

When opportunity knocks, you better be dressed and ready to go!

clementunes.com | taxi | soundcloud

sharonmak

Post by sharonmak » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:28 am

This is very helpful! Thank you so much for taking your time :D

RenneStone

Post by RenneStone » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:02 pm

Had the same question! thank you :)

stevetwosheds
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by stevetwosheds » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:42 am

In the old days (I'm a dinosaur!) - the 70's! - I remember reading in a respected songwriter magazine run by a big organization who shall remain nameless, that it was considered unprofessional to submit to more than one company at a time.

This threw me into a dilemma at the time, because it took MONTHS to get an answer from publishers and labels, often none at all, or a week or two at best - so it seemed impossible to get your work out there to sufficient publishers before it would be out of date anyway.

So I took the plunge and simply ignored the advice - went ahead and submitted 200 at a time, half expecting trouble or a bad reputation. I'm glad I did - Turned out the be the only way of getting deals.

Yes, it caused the odd problem of two people wanting the same song - But that's a better problem to have than no-one wanting them because they've never even heard them.

You have to take risks, unfortunately. If I had a crystal ball I woudn't have signed any deals too early - The best offers always seem to be the ones who take AGES to reply! The less busy, less fussy companies can respond a LOT quicker and tempt desperate songwriters to sign their stuff then regret it.

This leads to then being too scared to sign ANYTHING, after past mistakes, signing to less than great companies - Then you have the opposite problem - regretting not signing.

It's a TOUGH game without a crystal ball!

Steve

sharonmak

Post by sharonmak » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:49 pm

Thanks Steve for sharing your experience in this. I really appreciate it!