Going to have to STRONGLY disagree with screener #309...

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

CharlesLorenMusic
Active
Active

Going to have to STRONGLY disagree with screener #309...

Post by CharlesLorenMusic » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:21 pm

I never write posts like this, but this critique was so mind-boggling that I had to vent. Out of all the genres I pitch to the Taxi screeners, almost 100% of my "90's hip-hop" instrumentals get forwarded. It's my specialty. I've been experimenting with old-school hip-hop for over 10 years, influenced by the greats like DJ Premier, Pete Rock, Dr. Dre and many more.

Let me make it clear that I'm NOT mad about the return. I can deal with a return, especially when I get some insightful criticism on why it didn't go through. But the excuse that this screener gave, for the first time ever, struck some anger in me.

Here's a brief summary of the listing: "1990’s Style HIP-HOP INSTRUMENTAL CUES, $2,500 to $3,500 Direct-to-Supervisor placements in a Film on Netflix. Ballpark of Wu-Tang Clan, DMX, Naughty By Nature. Authentic ‘90s vibe, with compelling beats, and a subtle, yet attention-grabbing melodic hook."

If you would, please listen to "Who's Testin'" on my taxi page attached in my signature.

Now, I would understand if the reason for return was because it was too different a mood from the examples, or if the instrumentation was too busy or not busy enough, what have you. But the only thing the screener wrote, and I quote, is "I like where you went with your beats, but I don't hear the 90's influences". Once again, I'm not mad at the return. They even complemented my production. But to say that you don't hear the 90's influence... what do you hear?! I definitely don't hear these type of beats in post-2000! All I hear is trap beats, overwhelming bass, booty-shaking pop beats drowned in synths and auto-tune. If this isn't a 90's influenced beat, I don't know what it is.

Forgive me for the rant, but I'd love to hear any input; agreements, disagreements, critiques etc., especially from a fellow hip-hop instrumentalist. Cheers!

- Charles Loren

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Going to have to STRONGLY disagree with screener #309...

Post by Casey H » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:06 pm

CharlesLorenMusic wrote: Now, I would understand if the reason for return was because it was too different a mood from the examples, or if the instrumentation was too busy or not busy enough, what have you. But the only thing the screener wrote, and I quote, is "I like where you went with your beats, but I don't hear the 90's influences".
Hi Charles
This isn't at all my genre so it's hard for me to really say if it's fits the listing. But a few thoughts. This was a $2,500 to $3,500 sync fee listing which sets the bar very high. The screener saying "I don't hear the 90's influences" could very well mean one or more of the things you said you'd understand if he/she said were reasons for return. Not being close enough to the a la's could mean not hearing those influences, for example. So could the instrumentation, busy-ness, mood, etc. Remember on a Y, U, or D listing, anything the say beyond the checkboxes is extra. It's not a full critique so they don't always say much.

My suggestions is go back and A/B listen against the "a la" references. Give it a day or two so you calm down (Been there!). If you still feel the track was on target after those A/B listens, you could drop an email to headscreener at taxi dot com. But I would give it more thought first and hopefully get some feedback here from folks who know the genre well.

Best
:D Casey

WeWillWriteUaSong
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by WeWillWriteUaSong » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:10 pm

Track is perfect for the listing bro. You nailed it and you know you did. There were some key things that kept me from posting for this one. 90s hip hop is my specialty also.
Marcus aka CaiNo

"Those with evil intentions or contentious thoughts are instantly vanquished. The Art of Peace is invincible because it contends with nothing."

http://www.taxi.com/wewillwriteuasong
http://www.soundcloud.com/wewillwriteuasong

CharlesLorenMusic
Active
Active

Post by CharlesLorenMusic » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:37 pm

Casey H wrote: My suggestions is go back and A/B listen against the "a la" references. Give it a day or two so you calm down (Been there!). If you still feel the track was on target after those A/B listens, you could drop an email to headscreener at taxi dot com. But I would give it more thought first and hopefully get some feedback here from folks who know the genre well.

Best
:D Casey
Thanks for your input, Casey. I A/B'ed a lot before submitting to make sure it was on point, but I agree with what you said about the screener's intent. I just think he chose poor wording. I don't think I'll go through the trouble of emailing him, not sure if it will solve anything.
WeWillWriteUaSong wrote:Track is perfect for the listing bro. You nailed it and you know you did. There were some key things that kept me from posting for this one. 90s hip hop is my specialty also.
Thank you my friend! I will check out your instrumentals. Peace.

cassmcentee
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cassmcentee » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:19 pm

Great Tune Charles! :D
I'm sorry for the grief you are feeling...
CaiNo and I collaborated on this one that did get forwarded (without a comment from the screener):
https://soundcloud.com/robert-cass-mcen ... with-caino
I don't know if this helps at all, I was going for a Gorillaz Mix...
Cass
Robert "Cass" McEntee
"Making music on a spinning ball of Magma"
https://soundcloud.com/robert-cass-mcentee
https://www.taxi.com/members/DosPalmasRecordings

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:54 pm

interesting.

sounds like your beats are in the zone so I don't think you need worry about that.

maybe what the screener was referring to was more the melodic parts of the tune. Like if one of the references was Chronic era Dre I would expect to hear that particular synth lead sound that's all over that record. But that wasn't the ref, so i am not sure what the screener was hoping to hear.

the other thing to keep in mind is that this is a VERY high bar placement - so the screener is likely gong to be making fast calls and anything that didn't fit their concept of 90's hip hop would be out. The production might be looking for a track replacement as they couldn't license the temp for the budget they had, so the screener might have the benefit of hearing that track and was looking for stuff in that narrow zone.

So the question really is to me: What melodic things did they want to hear that would define 90's hip hop from those artists?

Cwadroon
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Cwadroon » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:02 am

I feel your frustration bro! I had a gang of returns on this one too haha. Same thing "right on target" "dope arrangement" "tight programming" etc.
It's tough to get in the mind of the screeners from just a few words, but when it comes down to it, I realize it's just not "the one" they needed for this listing. Your track is dope! I've been making hip hop music since the 80's ,I know you are on target. Hip hop isn't know for its melodicness (I just made that up), it's groove music, for a cue that might be different , that I don't know. But you're on point.
309 is a tough cat, he's only letting through "the one". With a yes / no listing and thousands of tracks I guess we just have to try and interpret where he's coming from with a short reason..
Write, Submit, Repeat brother! Best of luck!!

TrackSurgeons

Post by TrackSurgeons » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:20 pm

You guys are not alone. I've had a gang of returns on Hip-Hop stuff lately too (Almost all by 309).

The funny this is I've actually produced tracks for some of THE SAME artists used in the a la's.

A couple times the screeners have told me the track is too dark sounding for the listing or something like that which I can understand. But I really can't wrap my head around some of these returns.

The best I can figure is that some of the a la's being used aren't doing a good job of conveying what they are actually looking for.

I've definitely gotten some forwards as well so its not all bad. Its just strange that the new stuff I'm making specifically for these listings is being returned and the stuff I'm submitting thats been sitting on my hard drive and feels kind of dated to me is being forwarded for "current" hip-hop listings.

Just my 2cents.

On to the next...
Last edited by TrackSurgeons on Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cwadroon
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Cwadroon » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:03 am

Yeah man, looking at some of the forward history,it looks like maybe they don't really want hip hop (or funk, or r&b) . They want a cue version of it. Something a classical composer type would create. With just the sounds and textures of the
examples.... Im going to give a few a shot with this approach and see what happens.
Last edited by Cwadroon on Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

CharlesLorenMusic
Active
Active

Post by CharlesLorenMusic » Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:55 pm

cassmcentee wrote: I don't know if this helps at all, I was going for a Gorillaz Mix...
Cass
Really dope beat man! I love the Gorillaz. Thanks for sharing.
andygabrys wrote: So the question really is to me: What melodic things did they want to hear that would define 90's hip hop from those artists?
I'm starting to think that this listing was more about the rhythm as well, especially after hearing cassmcentee's forward. Maybe I went too melodic and used too much piano. It's a good question to address though. #309 if you're reading this, shed some light!
TrackSurgeons wrote:You guys are not alone. I've had a gang of returns on Hip-Hop stuff lately too.
The funny this is I've actually produced tracks for some of THE SAME artists used in the a la's.

The best I can figure is that some of the a la's being used aren't doing a good job of conveying what they are actually looking for.
Lmao! That's crazy. Yeah I think you're right on the nail. They need to give better song examples. I have a feeling they were looking for an early 90's feel, so DMX wasn't the best example to give.