Just Dropped a pile of money on new piano mic

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Schmomposer
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Just Dropped a pile of money on new piano mic

Post by Schmomposer » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:08 pm

HI Everyone.

I am very excited to use the bajezus out of my new Earthworks PM40 mic on a couple of my pianos. I have historically gone with VST's for recording, but I was always feeling like I was missing something. I'm sure that I still have work to do to get the best recordings, but I do feel that these mics sound very much like my piano. I would love to hear your thoughts about the sound in these recordings that I recently submitted to listing #U170118PI

Here is the listing...

SINGER/SONGWRITER-Style, PIANO-BASED INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed for a $250, Direct Placement in a TV Show. They’re looking for Down-To-Mid Tempo Instrumental Cues that are and in the stylistic range of the references below:

“When I Was Your Man” by Bruno Mars

“Hello” by Adele

“All of Me ” by John Legend

Although the references have vocals, this request is for Instrumentals only.
Please submit well-crafted, emotionally moving Piano-based Instrumental Cues that sound like they’d work well in a scene about the down side of love; losing someone, heartbreak, etc. Simple is better for this pitch. They’re not looking for Composer of the Year so much as music that nails the mood and emotion. If you’re playing like Liberace, you’re probably overdoing it ;-) Your performance should have solid musicianship from start to finish, so please avoid anything that sounds MIDI-driven or obviously quantized. If you’re using a virtual piano, please make sure your piano sounds natural and real. Piano should be your primary instrument, however, you can also add other light accompaniment like a cello, strings or acoustic guitar as well.

All submissions should be approximately 90 seconds in length (give or take), and have a Non-faded ending. Please do NOT copy or rip off the referenced music in any way, shape, or form. Use it only as a general guide for the tone, texture, and vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed (great sounding home recordings are fine).

The estimated license fee for this placement is $250. This TV show is produced by a huge media company that frequently requests music from TAXI for their In-House Music Library. This placement is likely to be a Non-Exclusive deal. However, if they think your Cue is something that would work well in their catalog, they may contact you about doing an Exclusive deal for that particular piece. The specific deal points will be negotiated on a case-by-case basis, directly with the Company. Please submit one to three Instrumental Cues online or per CD. All submissions will be screened on a Yes/No basis - No full critiques. All submissions must be received no later than 11:59PM (PST) on Wednesday, January 18, 2017. TAXI #U170118PI

Here are my submissions...any feedback is appreciated.

https://soundcloud.com/jesse-brown-138/ ... -1/s-fzcsV
https://soundcloud.com/jesse-brown-138/ ... -2/s-VysHJ
https://soundcloud.com/jesse-brown-138/ ... ng/s-hI8kZ

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Just Dropped a pile of money on new piano mic

Post by Len911 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:19 pm

Hey, well I was going to say Schmo, it's a good thing I looked it up first, I kinda remembered Joe Schmo, and it sounded Yiddish, and all Yiddish words I've ever known, have never been particularly kind words,lol! :lol:

My thought before I actually listened was that this could be interesting, but not in a good way.

Very woody and intimate sounding, the performance and composition were both outstanding! Kudos! Much better than I anticipated.
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:03 pm

Hi Jesse,
Very nice indeed, both sound-wise and playing.
Your tracks sure beat my VI piano submissions on all counts.
I should've listened to yours first and saved my $5 :oops: :lol:
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

Schmomposer
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Schmomposer » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:13 pm

Hi Paul.

I'm using a circa 62 Petrof mod IV Grand that was completely rebuilt in the Czech Republic about 25 yrs ago. Thanks for listening. I actually pulled out a few db of the lows and mid range before bouncing the tracks. Quite a robust sound to the instrument.

All the best to you.

Jesse

Schmomposer
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Schmomposer » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:19 pm

Hi Graham.

What VI are you using? I'm convinced that 99% of people listening can't tell the difference about whether the instrument is real or not, so I wouldn't worry about it if you are using something good. I recorded my first two albums with VST's, and piano people can't tell that they aren't pianos....

I've used Ravenscroft 275, Ivory, and Alicia's Keys, and they are all fun to play and cool in their own way...and so easy to erase those notes you didn't mean to play too....lol.

Schmomposer
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Schmomposer » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:20 pm

Len911,

feel free to call me Schmo....sadly it's quite fitting.

thanks for listening

Jesse

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:16 pm

Hi Jesse,
What VI are you using? I'm convinced that 99% of people listening can't tell the difference about whether the instrument is real or not, so I wouldn't worry about it if you are using something good. I recorded my first two albums with VST's, and piano people can't tell that they aren't pianos....
I have NI's Kontakt pianos (Gentleman, Giant, Grandeur, Maverick, but Not Alicia's Keys, and also some free ones that are worth keeping), and I've just picked up Addictive Keys Studio Grand (for free! - thank you Focusrite). I used AK Studio for my recent submission after several frustrating attempts to use the others, where I was hearing harmonic overtones on certain notes that annoyed me to distraction. :lol: Its probably me, my lack of playing ability, and my sketchy (at best) appreciation of how to get the best from them. No doubt putting mics up in front of less than top-shelf pianos has its frustrations too, and requires far more spend to improve. Still, there's nothing like a well-captured real sound of a real piano being played by a real pianist playing real music well (as opposed to generating samples). I fail on many counts there, whereas it sounds like you've got things well sorted.

As for telling the difference, I might struggle if it was you playing, but if it was my playing reproduced both ways I'm sure I'd know :lol:
Last edited by Telefunkin on Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:42 pm

I'm convinced that 99% of people listening can't tell the difference about whether the instrument is real or not,
Yes, but 99% are real (sampled), and maybe 1% aren't (modeled). ;)

The real question is perhaps more appropriately how well sampled, and if they are played by a real piano player? :lol:

Scripts in some samplers probably make sure there are no 16 fingered players,lol, or that trumpets don't play chords.
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

SubRivers
Impressive
Impressive

Post by SubRivers » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:12 pm

Beautiful sound.

maybe bump up the volume a bit on the master - pretty low vol recording.,

sound wise it's captured what a piano sounds like - and great example for all the midi piano players

Schmomposer
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Schmomposer » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:40 am

Len911 wrote:
I'm convinced that 99% of people listening can't tell the difference about whether the instrument is real or not,
Yes, but 99% are real (sampled), and maybe 1% aren't (modeled). ;)

The real question is perhaps more appropriately how well sampled, and if they are played by a real piano player? :lol:

Scripts in some samplers probably make sure there are no 16 fingered players,lol, or that trumpets don't play chords.

I think that what the issue is is that even though they have taken a most beautiful audio picture of a most beautiful note in an impeccable environment with fantastic mics, they are currently unable to know what other notes are being played and how those notes will react with one another. With a limitless number of things that could happen on a piano, how is a VST supposed to account for all that is possible? I can't imagine how. That is what I am missing with plug ins...