Add more "rock" or leave it be?

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

artturner
Impressive
Impressive

Add more "rock" or leave it be?

Post by artturner » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:43 pm

Hi all,

I just got a return for the listing below. Screener comment was "Some fine work but could be a tad more Rock for this listing."

Should I add more rock and how could I do tha?

Or should i leave it alone and wait for another opportunity? What is it now? Pop?

And yes, it is a rather blatant Vanessa Carlton sound alike.

Here's the song:

https://soundcloud.com/artturnermusic/inspiring-victory

D170210RI

INSPIRING ROCK INSTRUMENTAL CUES in a variety of Tempos and Ensemble Sizes are needed by a successful NON-Exclusive Music Library for placements in TV, Film, and Commercials. They’re specifically looking for Inspiring, Uplifting Rock Instrumental Cues that you’d hear in popular shows like (but not limited to) Undercover Boss, The Biggest Loser, Extreme Makeover Home Edition, etc., etc. Please listen to the following references to get an idea of the wide range of styles that could work: “Undercover Boss” (0:55 - 2:10): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SCiQbxxcx4 “Extreme Makeover Home Edition” (1:30 – 2:51): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R7tHtZaJH0 “The Biggest Loser” (2:30 - 4:00): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcTUemja6-U Although one of the references has vocals, please submit instrumentals only for this pitch. Give them well-crafted Instrumental Cues that you could hear in an emotionally uplifting scene in one of the shows referenced above, or other shows like them. Your submissions can range from solo Instrumentals, to mid-size ensembles, to fuller ensembles, and anything in-between, as long as they have that inspiring, uplifting feeling and Rock instrumentation. Your piece should use one central motif from beginning to end, while adding and subtracting layers of Instrumentation as it progresses to create forward momentum and dynamic interest. Keep your piece simple, to-the-point, and avoid anything too frenetic or too “big,” as it could interfere with dialogue. Your submissions should be at least 90 Seconds long. Good edit points and non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings will work best. Please do NOT copy or rip off the referenced music in any way, shape, or form. Use it only as a general guide for tempo, texture, tone, and overall vibe. Broadcast quality is needed (great sounding home recordings are fine). NOTE: This Music Library is new to running listings with TAXI, and chances are, you don’t have anything in their catalog yet. The company is owned by two highly-experienced industry veterans with very long histories and tons of placements under their belts. This company offers a NON-EXCLUSIVE, 50/50 split. You'll get 100% of the Writer's share. The Publisher will get 100% of the Publisher’s share. You must own or control your Master and Copyright to submit for this pitch. Please submit one to three Instrumental Cues online or per CD. All submissions will be screened on a yes/no basis, with no full critiques, and must be received no later than 11:59PM (PST), on Friday, February 10th, 2017 TAXI # D170210RI

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Add more "rock" or leave it be?

Post by Telefunkin » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:45 am

Hi Art,
This is confusing. I listened to your track first. Its really nice, but I thought I could hear what the feedback meant - the track is piano-led and the rhythm guitars (but no lead guitar) are fairly subdued, whereas they probably want something slightly faster paced, with heavier guitar chords and maybe some lead guitar plus squeals and screams over heavier rock drums, and the piano back in the mix.

Then I played the examples and I was wrong! I think you're pretty close to those, so no doubt you listened carefully when creating your track, and I think you got it right. So, I'm not sure what the missing 'rock' element is. Maybe its worth just leaving this one as it is and resubmitting for a similar listing.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.