Recommendations for a keyboard and mouse...

Tell Your Friends about Gear that you love

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Tunesmith
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Recommendations for a keyboard and mouse...

Post by Tunesmith » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:43 am

Hi All,

I am piecing my new studio together..upgrading from hardware sequencing and Roland VS1680 to DAW. I have picked my DAW, PC, screen monitor and interface (from some of you members guidance, thank you!) but now see these options for wireless DAW specific keyboards (or even DAW skins for keyboards). Any recommendations on this and on a mouse?? Or track ball??

Thank you very much!

Best,
Linda C

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Recommendations for a keyboard and mouse...

Post by Len911 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:38 pm

Linda, I bought one of those daw specific keyboards, imprinted with all the commands for Cubase, and never used it, I used the keyboard, just never paid any attention to the shortcuts on it! :shock: :lol: I think it was because I always saw the shortcuts in the menu on the screen, and never bothered to hunt around on the keyboard.

I prefer Kensington Mice. I have 2, one is a wireless, and the other is one made for big fat man hands,lol! I've tried a couple other really cheap ones, they broke and couldn't fix. My mom prefers a track ball, she has arthritis, it seems awkward and slower to me if I use her computer. The track ones are stationary, so you have to move the ball, you can't just move the whole mouse. You can adjust the speed, but then it's often too fast for fine work. But that may depend on the track mouse. One other thing about the wireless, you may need to change batteries often, I have a battery charger with rechargeable batteries. After opening up to change batteries, after awhile you'll be duct taping them closed, and if you duct tape wrong it will drag on the pad, and have to cut a hole for the laser... Usb is a lot easier, especially once you get the cords routed and anchored. I think you can use extension cords if necessary, not sure because I've never needed to do that.
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

Tunesmith
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Tunesmith » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:19 am

Thank you Len!

I used a Kensington track ball extensively for drawing a while back as the mouse would cut me short once in a while. I sold it! I guess I will start off with what comes with my PC and take it from there!

Best,

Linda C

jdstamper
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jdstamper » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:03 am

I use the latest version of Sonar, on a Windows 7 PC, which is getting old but still works great. I haven't tried DAW specific keyboards, I've looked at them but just haven't been that interested. I also use a control surface, so maybe I don't need the shortcuts as much. I have a few special shortcuts that I use a lot, otherwise not so much.

In my set up I have a Microsoft keyboard and wireless mouse. I really like the function and feel of both. But the mouse hasn't been reliable, I think I am now on my 4th one in 6 years, they just seem to die for no particular reason. At least one was replaced free by Microsoft, so keep your original purchase information :)

Also, I like to stand up to work from time to time during the day. So I have another Logitech wireless keyboard and wireless mouse (bought as a set), on a tall laptop stand. I have a single 27" monitor that I put on a swivel stand so I can move it up and down for standing / sitting. The Logitechs work great. The keyboard uses batteries faster than I'd like, but I don't think that's unusual.

Also the keyboard will sometimes drop some characters or have a delay. It happens maybe once or twice per day, and it's a pain, it may have something to do with the laptop stand which has a metal surface and might interfere with signals. I'll be buying a new stand this year so I'll find out. But overall I'm very happy with this set up. The Logitechs allow me to transition fast from sitting to standing, and move around the room.

Jim
Jim Stamper
Production Music ... from Underscore to Overdrive
https://www.taxi.com/members/jimstamper

Tunesmith
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Tunesmith » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:36 pm

jdstamper wrote:I use the latest version of Sonar, on a Windows 7 PC, which is getting old but still works great. I haven't tried DAW specific keyboards, I've looked at them but just haven't been that interested. I also use a control surface, so maybe I don't need the shortcuts as much. I have a few special shortcuts that I use a lot, otherwise not so much.

In my set up I have a Microsoft keyboard and wireless mouse. I really like the function and feel of both. But the mouse hasn't been reliable, I think I am now on my 4th one in 6 years, they just seem to die for no particular reason. At least one was replaced free by Microsoft, so keep your original purchase information :)

Also, I like to stand up to work from time to time during the day. So I have another Logitech wireless keyboard and wireless mouse (bought as a set), on a tall laptop stand. I have a single 27" monitor that I put on a swivel stand so I can move it up and down for standing / sitting. The Logitechs work great. The keyboard uses batteries faster than I'd like, but I don't think that's unusual.

Also the keyboard will sometimes drop some characters or have a delay. It happens maybe once or twice per day, and it's a pain, it may have something to do with the laptop stand which has a metal surface and might interfere with signals. I'll be buying a new stand this year so I'll find out. But overall I'm very happy with this set up. The Logitechs allow me to transition fast from sitting to standing, and move around the room.

Jim
Thank you Jim, very helpful! I went and listened to some of your tracks on your Taxi page..very nice!

Linda C