What if you write lyrics only?

Before you rant, READ THIS!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

jeh

What if you write lyrics only?

Post by jeh » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:29 pm

I know I am not good at composing but I consider myself to be a good lyricist. Is there any hope for someone like me if I sign up for a Taxi membership?
I have big dreams for a career as a lyricist....please try to be realistic
Last edited by jeh on Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: What if you write lyrics only?

Post by Len911 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:44 pm

Realistically maybe not unless you find composer collaborators. If you can at least peck out a melody, then an arrangement.

Software today makes it a lot easier to move beyond "lyrics only", and I would encourage it.
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:19 pm

Jeh I'd start by looking for collaborators who write in the genres you're best at... and be clear on your goals, place songs with artists or in film/tv....
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

jeh

Post by jeh » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:42 pm

Is it possible to be a member of Taxi and then find a collaborator in Taxi?

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:04 pm

Of course, but I think that's doing it backwards. You already belong to the forum and have access to all members here. There is also the chat at TAXI TV on Mondays. And if you find a collaborator or collaborators by participating in the community, and they are members of TAXI then they can submit for both of you.

TAXI itself isn't going to help you find a collaborator and I think during my time here (12 years) I have only seen one or maybe two listings for lyrics only. But you can use the tools TAXI provides for free to find collaborators, get feedback on lyrics (and give feedback on others), learn more about the business, etc.

I'd start by posting up a lyric or two for feedback and go to peer to peer and look for songs with lyrics and give some feedback. Or lyric lovers. Hang at TAXI TV, read posts here and ask more questions.

There's also things like reading Robin Frederick
https://www.amazon.ca/Shortcuts-Hit-Son ... 0982004001

Pat Pattison
https://www.amazon.ca/Writing-Better-Ly ... t+Pattison

Jason Blume
https://www.amazon.ca/Steps-Songwriting ... ason+Blume

And you do need to answer the question: 'what is my goal,' ... in looking for a collaborator, you have to know what you'd like the end result to be. Just fun? That's cool.. Get a song signed to a music library? Get a song on an artist album? You need to know what you want before looking for a collaborator, because you need to find someone with the same goal, who writes in the same genre, and is very good at producing in that genre, to ever get anywhere.

I suggest also you sign up for TAXI's listing emails... you don't need to be a member to see what the industry is looking for. Reading the listings will give you an idea of what comes up again and again, the kind of 'a la's' that are requested, etc. You'll also read the part of the listing that talks about the legal part of the potential agreement and you can set out to learn more about this part of the biz.

Do I think you should spend $299 US to join TAXI when you write lyrics only and don't have anyone to work with yet? No, I don't. But you can certainly learn more songwriting, production and the music biz -- and possibly find people to collab with -- right here without spending a dime (well, there's your IP, but that's a different topic eh)

Hope that helps. If you want to talk more about your goals and what you're seeking, we'll try to help :)
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

jeh

Post by jeh » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:58 pm

hummingbird wrote:Of course, but I think that's doing it backwards. You already belong to the forum and have access to all members here. There is also the chat at TAXI TV on Mondays. And if you find a collaborator or collaborators by participating in the community, and they are members of TAXI then they can submit for both of you.

TAXI itself isn't going to help you find a collaborator and I think during my time here (12 years) I have only seen one or maybe two listings for lyrics only. But you can use the tools TAXI provides for free to find collaborators, get feedback on lyrics (and give feedback on others), learn more about the business, etc.

I'd start by posting up a lyric or two for feedback and go to peer to peer and look for songs with lyrics and give some feedback. Or lyric lovers. Hang at TAXI TV, read posts here and ask more questions.

There's also things like reading Robin Frederick
https://www.amazon.ca/Shortcuts-Hit-Son ... 0982004001

Pat Pattison
https://www.amazon.ca/Writing-Better-Ly ... t+Pattison

Jason Blume
https://www.amazon.ca/Steps-Songwriting ... ason+Blume

And you do need to answer the question: 'what is my goal,' ... in looking for a collaborator, you have to know what you'd like the end result to be. Just fun? That's cool.. Get a song signed to a music library? Get a song on an artist album? You need to know what you want before looking for a collaborator, because you need to find someone with the same goal, who writes in the same genre, and is very good at producing in that genre, to ever get anywhere.

I suggest also you sign up for TAXI's listing emails... you don't need to be a member to see what the industry is looking for. Reading the listings will give you an idea of what comes up again and again, the kind of 'a la's' that are requested, etc. You'll also read the part of the listing that talks about the legal part of the potential agreement and you can set out to learn more about this part of the biz.

Do I think you should spend $299 US to join TAXI when you write lyrics only and don't have anyone to work with yet? No, I don't. But you can certainly learn more songwriting, production and the music biz -- and possibly find people to collab with -- right here without spending a dime (well, there's your IP, but that's a different topic eh)

Hope that helps. If you want to talk more about your goals and what you're seeking, we'll try to help :)
Hi there. Thanks for taking your time to answer my question.

Well, my goal is to write for major artists and tv shows as well.

pianodanno

Post by pianodanno » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:50 pm

I'm down to collab with a lyricist!

benniealolo

What if you write lyrics only

Post by benniealolo » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:33 am

Sounds like a good reason to write a song - Only got half those hits blues or something.

A

jaywilliams
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jaywilliams » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:31 am

there you have it, you've already uncovered one potential collaborator!

also, if you haven't yet, try posting in this section of the Forums:

forum30.html

Best of luck!

Jay :)
// keep it groovy and make great music :) - Jay

J.W. Hagarty, Producer
Jay Williams Productions
Spotify: bit.ly/spotifyjay
Web: jaywilliamsproductions.com
Songtradr: jay.williams.productions
SoundCloud: jay-williams-productions