My Second Deal...but....?

Did you get a deal through TAXI? Lets hear about it!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

mrdtman
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

My Second Deal...but....?

Post by mrdtman » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:14 pm

Got a forward from a listing for a Latin tune called 'La Gran Danzig ( The Big Dance) - its on my TAXI homepage - from a Company in the U.K. But something seems odd to me. They sent me an email stating song acceptance but asked to send a link to listen to what's in my catalog. So, I sent them to my TAXI homepage. Few days ago, I got another email from them stating they want my name, address etc...to generate a contract so I sent them that info. I get another email with the contract and they asked for a link to my catalog so they can download .WAV files.

I sent the another email stating I wanted to clarify which song they want to download thinking they only want the one that they accepted. This was the reply:
Please provide with your entire music catalog, our staff will go through it and select the songs are suitable for advertising projects, film/TV or for the in-store use etc.

My question is for those of you that are more experienced with deals; is this normal? I'm a little cautious because it seems they would be interested in the one the listing was for. I admit I'm not real experienced in this, could be a good thing? looking for some insight.

This was the listing: D170223LI

LATIN INSTRUMENTALS in All Genres are needed by a NON-Exclusive, Major European Media Company for In-Store background music plays. Full-length (approx. 3:00-5:00 minutes), Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumentals in genres like, but not limited to Samba, Salsa, Bossa Nova, Spanish Guitar, Merengue, Reggaeton, etc., could all work. Think of the music you hear while shopping in those super hip stores in your favorite mall, and that will get you in the general ballpark of what they need. Here are some examples, but please don’t limit yourself to these styles! “Base De Rap” by Flow Latino https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuHdaHHdaY8 “Pueblo Nuevo” by Buena Vista Social Club https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okAE631gGX8 “Hilito” by Romeo Santos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eCL0l9iD5A It was harder than we thought to find purely instrumental examples, and although the third reference has vocals, please submit Instrumentals only this pitch. Positive feeling and emotionally upbeat Styles that can range from Solo Instrumentals to Mid-Sized Ensembles, and all the way up to full bands like the Buena Vista Social Club could all work well for this request. Anything that makes retail customers, restaurant goers, or “coffee-sippers” feel good about their surroundings is something this company wants to hear. If you use Virtual Instruments or samples, please make sure that they sound like the real thing and not a MIDI-driven robot band. Faded or non-faded endings could both potentially work for this request, but we tend to favor Non-Faded endings, and here’s why… NOTE: This company also pitches music for film, TV, and Commercials, and it’s not uncommon for them to offer and sign deals with the composers they find while hunting for the in-store music! NOTE 2: Please include a bio and photo with your submissions, as this company often may use them on their website or other promotional media. Quoting the Company: “Performance Royalties will be paid by the media company, and at ‘WAY HIGHER RATE’ than what is paid by conventional Performing Rights Organizations.” Please do NOT copy or rip off the referenced artists in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, texture, tone, and overall vibe. Broadcast quality is needed (great sounding home recordings are fine). This company offers a NON-EXCLUSIVE deal, you will retain 100% of all rights. You must own or control your Master and Copyright to submit for this opportunity. Please submit one to three Instrumentals online or per CD. All submissions must be received no later than 11:59PM (PST) Thursday, February 23rd, 2017, TAXI #D170223LI

DT

waveheavy
Impressive
Impressive

Re: My Second Deal...but....?

Post by waveheavy » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:34 pm

I'm not really one to say because I'm new at this, but... it sounds like they're interested in what other work you've got because they're seeing potential.

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:28 am

I'm no expert, but my instinct says go with it. If they're a reputable library (which they must be otherwise Taxi wouldn't work with them) then they wouldn't dare steal your work (which I suspect is one of your concerns). With that out of the way there's no risk. If they sift through all your tracks and like them there's a chance they might offer you contracts for many or even all of them. Wouldn't that be great? Also, its good to know which tracks (if any) that they don't like. I can't really see any down-side to this. I hope if I'm wrong that someone will point out the flaws in my logic, but I hope its all good. Whatever happens, I wish you good luck. Its great to hear things like this are happening for members. :)
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

mrdtman
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by mrdtman » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:02 am

Thanks Graham & Dave

I'm not worried about them stealing my tunes, just thought it was unusual to not ask for specific material. The contract does not mention a specific song, like my 1st deal did with a different library.

Now my thought is to upload all my material to my Dropbox and send them a link to the folder.

Jfinbury
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Jfinbury » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:28 am

Hi DT. Congratulations! I got the same deal on my 3 submissions on this Opportunity as well. Assuming you got the same contract as the one they sent me, here are my impressions: This is a very Artist-friendly contract because it is non-exclusive, is terminable after 3 years, splits all licenses fees 50/50 with the artist, and the artist keeps publishing share and artist share PRO royalties. The only downside I can think of is a speculative one: the songs they represent would be tied up from being submitted to future opportunities looking for "exclusive" publishing arrangements. Other than these 2 cents and a grain of salt, I would suggest achieving a comfort level with the deal by getting them on the telephone and having an old fashion talk, and of course speaking with a lawyer and having her review the contract before signing any contract.

Oh, and nice music making!

All the best,

John Finbury
http://www.greenflashmusic.com

https://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home.php?userid=me

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:45 am

Any time you sign a non-exclusive (or exclusive) deal on a piece of music, it means that it's off the table for other exclusive deals, so nothing odd there. Ultimately, the company will have to provide you with a schedule of the exact titles they are going to sign. This company is substantial and expanding into the U.S. retail, in-store play music market pretty quickly, so they're signing quite a bit of music.

They also get placements in film, TV, and commercials, as mentioned.

best,
Michael

mrdtman
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by mrdtman » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:22 am

Thanks Michael for the clarification.

I really appreciate the opportunities TAXI makes available for us.

Your organization is AWESOME!

Duane

Alasdair
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Alasdair » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:41 pm

Just make sure you have the right to remove a track from their listing if you choose.(I say that beacuse if tehy take all your tracks, it alot to have off teh table). I have this with my latest deal meaning that i can pitch the pieces to other companies as long as that piece hasnt been used under the existing deal.. if another listing company finds a place for it before the first, i can remove the track from the first listing company and give to the later whether ist an exclusive or non exclusive deal.

again as long as the first listing company has not successfully placed the track, well done good luck. iam new at this too.. i only know this as my existing contract explained it to me