Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

mikehamm123
Impressive
Impressive

Ambient cue due on 5/13?

Post by mikehamm123 » Wed May 03, 2017 11:23 pm

There is an Ambient cue due on 5/13.

I was wondering about this:
Please submit well-crafted Electronic Ambient Instrumental Cues that have an innovative beat and somewhat of a neutral tone.
What do you make of "somewhat of a neutral tone"?

I think it means 'not too dark'? Or what?

I'm also wondering what kind of percussion would work, but I suppose I'll have to dig up more samples in this style to get an idea.

Thanks.

Full listing:----------------

AMBIENT ELECTRONIC INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a very successful, NON-Exclusive Music Library owned by two highly accomplished industry veterans. They’re looking for compelling Instrumental Cues in All Tempos that could be heard on a playlist with artists like (but not limited to) Gold Panda, Teen Daze, Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross, etc., etc., etc. Please listen to the following references to get yourself in the general wheelhouse of what they need:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRLreGvjC4c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9S6WawYU_o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npFeMDdODi0

Although some of the references may have vocals, please submit Instrumentals only for this pitch. Please submit well-crafted Electronic Ambient Instrumental Cues that have an innovative beat and somewhat of a neutral tone. Build your Cue around a simple, central melodic theme that you can develop ambient tones and textures around. You’d be wise to avoid any sounds that are screeching, or overly frenetic as they could potentially distract from dialog. You can get a little weird for this pitch, but when your music goes off the reservation, it needs to sound like you’re a creative genius and it didn’t happen by accident.

NOTE: This company is beefing up their catalog in a big way, so if they love what they hear from you, be prepared to have them ask you to send in 10 MORE Cues in the same style in a relatively short period of time. This could be a case in which submitting three Cues that are all “forward-able” is a good idea. It could show them you have the depth in your catalog.

Your submissions should be at least 2 minutes long. Non-faded endings are needed for this pitch. Do NOT copy or rip off the referenced artists or songs in any way shape of form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, texture, and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed (great sounding home recordings are fine).

This company offers a NON-EXCLUSIVE, 50/50 split. You'll get 100% of the Writer's share. The Publisher will get 100% of the Publisher’s share. You must own or control your Master and Copyright to submit for this pitch. Please submit one to three Instrumentals Cues online or per CD. All submissions will be screened on a Yes/No basis - No full critiques. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59PM (PDT), on Saturday, May 13th, 2017. TAXI #Y170513AE
Mike

===========

https://mikehammmusic.com

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Ambient cue due on 5/13?

Post by hummingbird » Thu May 04, 2017 1:44 am

compelling but neutral, eh?

I guess that means interesting enough to make you want to keep listening while not suggesting a particular emotion?
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

mikehamm123
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mikehamm123 » Fri May 26, 2017 7:01 pm

hummingbird wrote:while not suggesting a particular emotion?
Then what's the point? :lol:

There was a drone ambient listing from last night, this is one of the tracks I submitted. This is the simplest one, the others were a bit more busy.

https://soundcloud.com/user-819745024/o ... mm/s-VMV4T

Comments?

----------

DARK, DRONE-Y INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed for (up to) $2,500, NON-Exclusive, Direct-to-Editor placements in a big-budget Feature Film promo for a major film studio. They’re searching for a few ominous Instrumentals in the general stylistic ballpark of the following references:

“Perihelion” by Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross

“The Lonely Tomb” True Detective

“Reflection” by Johan Johannsson

Please send them subtle, textural Instrumental Cues with very little, to no melodic movement. Your Cues should have a droning quality that delivers an un-easy and moody feeling as instrumentation weaves in and out to create a compelling, un-settling underscore.

Quoting the client: Looking for “synth drones, pulsing, thick low end pads, but nothing in a high register that could be distracting. Cinematic style percussion works, but it should not be in focus, and sit a bit further back in the mix. Heavy guitar mixed in with your electronic palette could work as well (although guitar is not necessary), but no blazing lead guitar or synth lines as this will go under dialogue.”

Stick to a singular vibe and sound throughout the entire Cue to keep your piece emotionally cohesive from beginning to end. Keep your Drone on the simple side. For this pitch, mood is everything! Heads up: We pretty sure they’re going to be picky about what lands in this (these) promos. There are a lot of great Drones out there, but in this case, it’s going to be “which works best against these scenes?” that will win the day. They’re going to be looking for stuff that’s subtle, dark, and incredibly good. 

All submissions should be at least 2:00 minutes in length. Non-Faded endings will work best. Do not copy the references in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as general guide for overall feel, texture and tone. Broadcast quality is needed (great sounding home recordings are fine).

The estimated sync fee is (up to) $2,500, depending on the ultimate placement(s). This is a Non-Exclusive, Direct-to-Editor pitch. You'll get 100% of the sync fee, and 100% of any applicable performance royalties. Plus, you'll also keep 100% of your Publishing and Master ownership. You need to own or control your Master and Copyright to pitch for this opportunity. Please submit 1-3 Instrumentals Cues online or per CD. All submissions will be screened on a Yes/No basis – no full critiques, and must be received no later than 11:59PM (PDT), Thursday, May 25th, 2017. TAXI #D170525DC
Mike

===========

annayarbrough
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by annayarbrough » Sun May 28, 2017 9:54 am

mikehamm123 wrote:There is an Ambient cue due on 5/13.

I was wondering about this:
Please submit well-crafted Electronic Ambient Instrumental Cues that have an innovative beat and somewhat of a neutral tone.
What do you make of "somewhat of a neutral tone"?

I think it means 'not too dark'? Or what?

I'm also wondering what kind of percussion would work, but I suppose I'll have to dig up more samples in this style to get an idea.

Thanks.
I had a forward for this one... (https://soundcloud.com/annayarbrough/electronic-jungle if you want to listen).... for what it's worth, I pretty much fluctuated around one central chord the entire time. That was my interpretation of 'neutral'! I also used very simple electronic drums.

That all being said, I checked out several of the other forwards from this listing and it seems they were all quite different! Seems that there was a lot of room for interpretation on this one.

I really like your drone cue - love the subtlety! Good luck with it!
Anna Yarbrough
Website | Spotify | SoundCloud

mikehamm123
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mikehamm123 » Sun May 28, 2017 10:10 am

annayarbrough wrote:I pretty much fluctuated around one central chord the entire time
I like it, particularly the Eastern-sounding riff in the back half.

Congrats on your forward!

That is pretty neutral. I usually go 'dark' with ambient cues.
Mike

===========