Too Busy For Tension Instrumentals?

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

waveheavy
Impressive
Impressive

Too Busy For Tension Instrumentals?

Post by waveheavy » Tue May 16, 2017 11:02 am

What do you think folks, is this track too busy for Tension instrumentals? Are there too many elements maybe, and should be more simple?

I've never mixed Hip-Hop and orchestral instruments before; sounded like an interesting experiment.

https://soundcloud.com/waveheavy/i-lost ... ce/s-ajQsU

waveheavy
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Too Busy For Tension Instrumentals?

Post by waveheavy » Tue May 16, 2017 7:38 pm

Here's the listing that I was following...

Orchestral-based TENSION CUES are needed by a successful Music Library that gets a lot of placements for TAXI members! They need some fresh, Mid-to-Up-Tempo Tension Cues that could be heard on television shows like (but not limited to) Shark Tank, Toddlers and Tiaras, Survivor, etc., etc. Please listen to the following references to get an idea of what can work for this pitch:

Shark Tank (:50 – 2:00) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in4mAqHn_d4

Survivor (6:49 – 7:20) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECZpbC0j9Uc

Toddlers and Tiaras (1:14 – 1:37) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmL2d_yl8so

Please submit Cues that are rooted in an Orchestral sound and create a feeling or mood that would support dramatic, tension-filled scenes. Your pieces can also include a range of electronic or percussive elements, as long as the primary sound is Orchestral-based. Stick with one central mood from beginning to end, and layer your instrumentation in and out to create some forward momentum and keep it from sounding too linear. Avoid anything overly busy or frenetic, as it could interfere with dialogue.

All submissions should be about 1:30 minutes in length, give or take, with non-faded/buttoned endings. Please avoid Cues that sound stiff and obviously quantized. Do NOT copy or rip off the references in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, texture and overall vibe. Context appropriate Broadcast Quality is needed (great sounding home recordings are fine).

This company offers an EXCLUSIVE deal. You’ll split any upfront sync fees 50/50. They’ll get 100% of the Publisher’s share, and you’ll get 100% of the Writer’s share. You must own or control 100% of your Master and Copyright. Since this is an EXCLUSIVE deal, please be sure the material you submit for this pitch is NOT already signed with any other Libraries or Catalogs. Please submit one to three Instrumental Cues online or per CD. All submissions will be screened on a Yes/No basis - No full critiques. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59PM (PDT), Thursday, May 18th, 2017. TAXI #D170518OT

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Wed May 17, 2017 3:06 am

I'm no expert, but my instinct would be to ease back on the percussion just a tad, and also the sustained strings from 0:50 to 1:11. See whether anyone else agrees with that before making a change. I think you did a good job though Dave, so good luck with the submission.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

waveheavy
Impressive
Impressive

Post by waveheavy » Wed May 17, 2017 6:21 am

Thanks Telefunkin,

I definitely agree with easing back on those sections. I exported it to a separate mastering session and backed off quite a few power areas. Let me know if you think the high strings are still popping out too much.

Here's an update:

https://soundcloud.com/waveheavy/i-lost ... e-in-space

cassmcentee
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cassmcentee » Wed May 17, 2017 6:55 am

Superb Mix Dave!
The piece is Great!
Wish I could write like that...

Regarding the listing...
I feel that you are Spot On for the first 30 seconds or so
As soon as the first sparkly synth (sounds great btw) comes in, I lost the vibe of "tension" and felt "discovery" instead
Same for the violin that comes in right behind it
Then everything started to feel too fast for these kind of uses, meaning, percussion was too quick.
A heartbeat type of pulse will always work better for TV tension in my opinion (And I'm sure I'll be proved wrong :P )
As a suggestion, stick with the opening feel all of the way through and just add heartbeat paced percussion and use small ear candy for transitions.
Again, talking re: the listing

The piece is in itself Wonderful!
Cass
Robert "Cass" McEntee
"Making music on a spinning ball of Magma"
https://soundcloud.com/robert-cass-mcentee
https://www.taxi.com/members/DosPalmasRecordings

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Wed May 17, 2017 9:21 am

For me, the remix is great Dave and has a much better balance, and I would have been happy to submit the track as it is. However, Cass makes some valid points, so now its a close-call on whether to tinker a bit more to magnify the tension. Good luck, whatever you decide! :)
Last edited by Telefunkin on Wed May 17, 2017 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

waveheavy
Impressive
Impressive

Post by waveheavy » Wed May 17, 2017 9:39 am

Thanks Cass and Telefunkin,

Yes, I realize I'm testing the waters with this one on tension cues. I feel the rhythmic drive should carry it enough where the minimum melodic ideas will be regarded as ear candy and not as a competing theme. I'm not ready to submit yet; trying to build up a portfolio right now. I don't want to be one who submits a cue with the music library possibly asking for more and me not having them.

daveydad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by daveydad » Wed May 17, 2017 10:24 am

Nice work! Yeah, I would add a little more tension by adding some tremolo strings or a darker sounding synth

waveheavy
Impressive
Impressive

Post by waveheavy » Wed May 17, 2017 3:27 pm

Thanks for the listen and comments daveydad,

It has tremolo strings, just not constant throughout. That's a thought though, having them play throughout the whole piece to create more tension. Maybe some clusters in the tremolo strings? But there I go again, wanting more complexity when I need to keep it more simple like yal are saying. I'll try a different synth for the pad and see what that does, thanks.

daveydad wrote:Nice work! Yeah, I would add a little more tension by adding some tremolo strings or a darker sounding synth

daveydad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by daveydad » Wed May 17, 2017 3:33 pm

Maybe my lousy hearing didn't pick them up! Wonder if some screeners are hard of hearing!? lol