Tell Your Friends about Gear that you love

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Tunesmith
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Shoe String Budget Gear Recommendation for Newbies

Post by Tunesmith » Mon May 22, 2017 6:30 am

(Like myself:) )

I recently switched from my old way of recording on vintage gear to the current way of recording as inexpensively as I could and wanted to share my results with others starting out. I had great input from other members here along the way. What I have put together works like a charm (so far!)

I already had a keyboard controller, audio monitors, headphones and power amp. If you don;t have some of these, check out this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLXSqan3Jcs

I first bought the audio interface one needs to connect instruments and channel the sound to the power amp,etc. I bought the awesome Behringer U-Phoria UMC204HD 24-bit/192kHz, 2-in/4-out USB 2.0 Audio Interface w/ Midas Preamps. It comes with a FREE version of Tracktion 6 DAW. It sells for $79.99 It is available at most music stores for this price. I bought it on Amazon.

Then for the computer system, I purchased a Windows based PC refurbished. I had to get something that would run the DAW and VST's that would be added. I can;t afford a Mac and have been using Windows all along anyway. I also needed a monitor. So on Ebay I bought a DELL Optiplex 755 Tower with 8 gig ram, Processor Speed: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8 - 3.2 GHZ
Operating Systems: Windows 10 Professional
Hard Drive Capacity: 1TB

With a 19" HP monitor.

Free shipping..for $185

Here is a link to the EBay posting. The seller replied very quickly to my questions. http://www.ebay.com/itm/291966151645?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

So I am up and running for a mere $265 There are free good VST's out there as well..just do a search.

I do want a larger monitor but this is fine for now as I am still earning the DAW. I have already been able to record an instrumental cue and submit it.

Very much enjoy learning this (new to me) way of recording, etc...it can be dawnting, but sure is dawesome!

Best,
Linda C

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Shoe String Budget Gear Recommendation for Newbies

Post by hummingbird » Mon May 22, 2017 7:28 am

Sounds awesome, Linda - I also started out with a budget set-up, including Tracktion (which I still use!). I saved a bit and every 3 or 4 months I'd have enough to get a VST pack.

Look forward to hearing what you cook up with the new gear!
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

cassmcentee
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cassmcentee » Mon May 22, 2017 8:34 am

Congrats on the upgraded studio Linda!
Here is a good article on tweaking your system for better performance: https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/ ... Windows-10
For me (I'm on a PC with Cubase) these kind of tweaks are imperative
Cass
Robert "Cass" McEntee
"Making music on a spinning ball of Magma"
https://soundcloud.com/robert-cass-mcentee
https://www.taxi.com/members/DosPalmasRecordings

Tunesmith
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Tunesmith » Mon May 22, 2017 12:09 pm

hummingbird wrote:Sounds awesome, Linda - I also started out with a budget set-up, including Tracktion (which I still use!). I saved a bit and every 3 or 4 months I'd have enough to get a VST pack.

You are the one who actually inspired me to check out Tracktion. I really like it's interface and I think I am going to upgrade to the latest version, Waveform. I must say I was really confused about mixing down as I am so used to having all channels mixed to 2 tracks via a mixer...but I guess you just export the whole thing and there it is...anyway, it appears that Waveform has mixer modules in it for us old fashioned engineers...there is a great video of it being demonstrated at NAMM:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8jPZRIOUPE

My 1st track is very simple...it was for a sad melancholy background cue...don't laugh too hard! but I learned alot doing it..

It's on my TAXI page (link below) and is called Melancholy Piano Synth Cue

I do plan to start purchasing VST packs this summer when I have a little more dough. I really love Eric Persing's products!

Best,
Linda C

Tunesmith
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Tunesmith » Mon May 22, 2017 12:11 pm

cassmcentee wrote:Congrats on the upgraded studio Linda!
Here is a good article on tweaking your system for better performance: https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/ ... Windows-10
For me (I'm on a PC with Cubase) these kind of tweaks are imperative
Cass
That is very helpful! I am using this PC only for recording. Thanks for this info!

Best,
Linda

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Sat May 27, 2017 9:33 am

Tunesmith wrote:
hummingbird wrote:Sounds awesome, Linda - I also started out with a budget set-up, including Tracktion (which I still use!). I saved a bit and every 3 or 4 months I'd have enough to get a VST pack.

You are the one who actually inspired me to check out Tracktion. I really like it's interface and I think I am going to upgrade to the latest version, Waveform. I must say I was really confused about mixing down as I am so used to having all channels mixed to 2 tracks via a mixer...but I guess you just export the whole thing and there it is...anyway, it appears that Waveform has mixer modules in it for us old fashioned engineers...there is a great video of it being demonstrated at NAMM:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8jPZRIOUPE

My 1st track is very simple...it was for a sad melancholy background cue...don't laugh too hard! but I learned alot doing it..

It's on my TAXI page (link below) and is called Melancholy Piano Synth Cue

I do plan to start purchasing VST packs this summer when I have a little more dough. I really love Eric Persing's products!

Best,
Linda C
Aw that's cool! I haven't tried waveform yet although I've been getting the emails. I just stick with what's tried and true for me. I use Tracktion's 'Master Mix' presets as a starter for mixing. Even tho I've been using Tracktion for years there's still more to learn about it. There's some good videos/tutorials on the T site and also check out YouTube.

Mojobone is also a member of the Traction club :D

Your composition is lovely. The production needs work... smoothing out the onset of the strings or pad, and using some reverb on the piano so it sounds a little more alive. Definitely emotion in the piece. Keep working on it because when you get those instruments sounding good I bet there will be a home for it.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

Tunesmith
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Tunesmith » Mon May 29, 2017 9:48 am

hummingbird wrote: Your composition is lovely. The production needs work... smoothing out the onset of the strings or pad, and using some reverb on the piano so it sounds a little more alive. Definitely emotion in the piece. Keep working on it because when you get those instruments sounding good I bet there will be a home for it.
Thank you for your input..I really just wung it! I will do these edits you advise and learn as I do so. You are very helpful to me and others..really appreciate it!

I was thinking of just jumping into Waveform, try the 30 day trial, since Tracktion is so new to me, ie, I wouldn't be re-learning...however, I can't do this until July as I rent my house out for the summer on the Cape here and go to Vermont, so am now jamming on getting it ready! So anything I do now musically will be with T6 and quite simple..

I'll be bringing my studio to Vermont. A lot easier to move around with VST's than sound modules!

Thank you again,
Linda