Ambient tension. Ooh.... so close and yet so far!!

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

daveydad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Ambient tension. Ooh.... so close and yet so far!!

Post by daveydad » Wed May 17, 2017 10:28 am

FYI: Screener's comments. Tracks are on my Taxi page. Saved for another listing. :)

Off the Path: "This piece is very good with some fine elements but the rhythmic clicks and hits could be more subtle for the listing. If used for TV underscore they could stick out and possibly distract from dialog or other audio events. Good work for sure though David."

Approach with Caution: "The mood and atmosphere are dark but the crescendos get a tad too big for this listing I believe."

AMBIENT TENSION INSTRUMENTAL DRONE CUES are needed by a very successful, NON-Exclusive Music Library owned by two highly accomplished industry veterans. They’re looking for a whole bunch of those Tension-Inducing Drones Cues that you’d hear on shows like (but not limited to) The People vs. OJ Simpson, Making A Murderer, The Mentalist, etc., etc. Please listen to the following references to get yourself in a drone-y state of mind. The People vs. OJ Simpson (37:30 to 38:55) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFDtDrUfzLM "The Mentalist" (:00 - :30) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEBFK9koVW4 Making a Murderer (:00 to 1:17) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0xY5onKE8A Please submit subtle, textural Drone Cues with very little, to no melodic movement and a tension-based, ominous mood that runs from beginning to end. Please avoid any significant builds or crescendos, and let the end of the Cue just die out, rather than sting. Faint, minimal percussive elements can also be added, but remember, less is more. Simplicity and mood are everything for this pitch! Please remember, they don’t need horror-based pieces, so much as something that gives your deodorant a good run for its money because of the subtle tension it creates in the background. TAXI Tip: These Cues are needed more for TV shows than films, so it’s probably not a good idea to submit big, cinematic Drones that you’d hear from Hans Zimmer or Atticus Ross & Trent Reznor. You’re not trying to win an Oscar with these ;-) NOTE: This company is beefing up their catalog in a big way, so if they love what they hear from you, be prepared to have them ask you to send in 10 MORE Cues in the same style in a relatively short period of time. This could be a case in which submitting three Cues that are all “forward-able” is a good idea. It could show them you have the depth in your catalog. Your submissions should be at least 1:30 long, and feel free to go somewhat longer, as drones tend to run long-ish when used. Please do NOT copy or rip off the referenced examples in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tone and overall vibe. Broadcast quality is needed (great sounding home recordings are fine). This company offers a NON-EXCLUSIVE, 50/50 split. You'll get 100% of the Writer's share. The Publisher will get 100% of the Publisher’s share. You must own or control your Master and Copyright to submit for this pitch. Please submit one to three Instrumentals Cues online or per CD. All submissions must be received no later than 11:59PM (PDT), Friday, May 5th, 2017. TAXI #D170505AT

waveheavy
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Ambient tension. Ooh.... so close and yet so far!!

Post by waveheavy » Wed May 17, 2017 3:59 pm

On the first cue the only thing sticking out to me are the right hand metallic-cymbal hits with screech. Otherwise, I think it's spot on. They' wouldn't be playing the cue at max volume anyway.

With the second cue, it's the riser only that I feel could be a conflict with dialogue. I think you're pretty much right on the money with this one too.

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Thu May 18, 2017 10:26 am

Always great work David. However, the listing is clear on avoiding crescendos and keeping percussive elements minimal, so the feedback makes sense. I still get it wrong more often than not though. :) As you say, the cues will surely be suitable for another listing, although it might be worth easing back those clicks (sticks on rims?) in 'Off the Path' as they did seem quite prominent to me.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

MattCurious
Impressive
Impressive

Post by MattCurious » Thu May 25, 2017 12:24 am

Wow, I just had a message bounced for containing too few characters - is that a new feature?

So I'm going to employ some lawyerly locution in order to circumvent the limitation that I anticipate is intended to ensure that contributors consider carefully their contributions and add some articulate analysis to the discourse instead of dumping discrete digital damnings of no demonstrable value.

That said - I have struggled a bit with this listing. The forwards I've heard are great, but I haven't been able to link them to the references or the listing requirements on a casual listen. Possibly I just need to sit and do some proper analysis, but my sense is that the screener had a particular style or vibe in mind for this one.

Matt
-------------------------
matt-collinson.com