Tunesat again

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ronnie35
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Tunesat again

Post by ronnie35 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:36 pm

IF you signed a contract with an exclusive Library .Can you still put that song on Tunesat?

Ron
Chopin: "Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties. After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art." http://www.ronschultz.org

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Tunesat again

Post by hummingbird » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:46 pm

Tunesat is just detecting a broadcast of the piece, isn't it?
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

ronnie35
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ronnie35 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:44 pm

Thanks Vickie you are right
Ron
Chopin: "Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties. After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art." http://www.ronschultz.org

tomyco
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by tomyco » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:40 pm

If you belong to a Performing Rights Affiliation, like BMI why would you need Tunesat? Am I missing something?

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by eeoo » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:38 am

The main purpose of Tunesat, I believe, is to detect placements so that you can make sure you're PRO (BMI, ASCAP etc) pay you properly for them. Some PROs honor Tunesat detections and others don't is what I've heard. For me it's just fun to see what placements I'm currently getting of the 50 songs that I uploaded in my free account.

Danny
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Danny » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:39 am

It is very common for placements to get missed by PRO's.

Tunesat is a tool to see if you had a placement and your PRO missed it. It doesn't necessarily mean Tunes at is 100 percent accurate either.

Here's the downside. From my experience, BMI will not acknowledge Tunesat detections due to possible "False hits".

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:07 am

I find Tunesat has 2 purposes. First, as Ethan mentioned, it's fun to see what's been played on TV and get early notice before a cue sheet might be filed. Second, even though some PROs won't accept Tunesat detections of proof of airplay, you CAN use the info to contact your publisher if by around 9 months (3 quarterly statements) after broadcast, you don't see a cue sheet in your PRO account (ASCAP peeps) or see anything on a statement. It's the publisher's job to hunt down missing cue sheets. Just make sure you don't start contacting publishers for at least 9 months after broadcast (3 quarterly statements). And be careful of hounding publishers. For example, sometimes Tunesat picks something of mine up on a show/channel that I know only pays pennies PRO. If I don't see a cue sheet down the road, I don't necessarily bother asking the publisher about it. Best to choose your battles. :D

The free version allows you to upload 50 tracks for detections. Nothing to lose by signing up.

Best
Casey