CD Baby to be or not to be that is the question

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

andy1324
Active
Active

CD Baby to be or not to be that is the question

Post by andy1324 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:17 am

OK newbie here, I've seen somewhat similar posts but this is something I need real clarity on going forward. So prior to joining taxi I registered a song with CD baby and signed their publishing agreement. I just submitted the same song to a taxi submission, then I realized I had signed the CD baby agreement, what to do what to do. Who has experience in this Matter and can shine some light it would be greatly appreciated.

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Re: CD Baby to be or not to be that is the question

Post by mojobone » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:57 am

If the listing is non-exclusive, it may not matter, but there are companies that expressly state they will not deal with material that's been published via CDBaby.
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

andy1324
Active
Active

Post by andy1324 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:13 am

thanks mojobone

TuKatz
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by TuKatz » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:15 pm

OK, just to start off, the information below is what my understanding of this is and is mostly from 3rd hand information (so maybe I should not say anything---LOL!!!). I use CDBaby to sell my recordings but I do not employ their publishing services for material I submit here at TAXI. Maybe someone else may have better information and if so please comment.

My understanding is that you can unsign from CDBaby's publishing agreement with 7 days notice. Then your song should be clear to be licensed elsewhere. Mojo is right that having CDBaby as your publisher will make it much more difficult to have your work actually signed, but will not effect it being forwarded. I guess you can wait and see if the piece gets forwarded and then unsign with CDBaby, but it could affect any kind of offer you might get in the interim as you would not be able to assign the publishing to someone else.

You can do google searches on how to exactly unsign from CDBaby, and it may be the best way to go if you plan on submitting this piece to more listings just to be safe. I hope this has helped a little.

andy1324
Active
Active

Post by andy1324 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:21 pm

thanks tuKatz