Library Letdown .. At least it's not just me

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

DesireInspires
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Library Letdown .. At least it's not just me

Post by DesireInspires » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:29 pm

Casey H wrote:I think we're treading on dangerous ground on this thread now. Taxi doesn't want the names of libraries or their owners on the forum and the information posted may be getting a little close there. Also, mentioning a political person's name is never a good idea because it invites political debate, something Taxi also doesn't want on here.

JMHO... My 2 cents.

Best,
:D Casey
Yes, I got lost with the last post.

I wasn't trying to stir the pot, just didn't understand what the poster meant. I do have my suspicions on who the library owner is though.

But what's done is done. Write, submit, forget, repeat!

SubRivers
Impressive
Impressive

Post by SubRivers » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:16 pm

I am of course referring to the library owner that is the topic of this thread - not sure how it could be construed I was talking about someone else.

He's not typical of the business AFAIK

I understand this is not the place to discuss.

DesireInspires
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DesireInspires » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:00 pm

admin wrote:Regarding the particular situation I contacted him about, he told me that somebody had "hijacked a brief and sent him a huge number of tracks that fit what he needed, and it was easier to deal with one person rather than many." That was paraphrased, but pretty close to a quote. I had no idea what "hijacking a brief" meant.
Not to make fun of the situation, but whoever "hijacked" the brief must have been one heck of a composer!

I have never heard of one person being good enough or having enough material to replace a group of music library composers.

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:11 am

DesireInspires wrote:Not to make fun of the situation, but whoever "hijacked" the brief must have been one heck of a composer!

I have never heard of one person being good enough or having enough material to replace a group of music library composers.
"hijacked a brief", "ambushed by a reporter", the common thread is "taken off guard". So maybe if I felt ambushed, it was because I was hijacked.

People in general say surprising stuff sometimes when they're taken off guard and asked something they weren't expecting. How many times have you complained about something and people tell you that nobody else has ever complained? It's usually not that they think your complaint doesn't have merit, they just don't know what the policy is or how to handle the situation. Nobody likes to answer questions they aren't prepared for.
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:37 am

Len911 wrote:
DesireInspires wrote: People in general say surprising stuff sometimes when they're taken off guard and asked something they weren't expecting.
No it's a term used by the Library owner previously, and even advocated by him as per my previous post.

So the view is if one composer can send you 10 cues right off that the bat that fit the brief , why deal with 10 composers with one cue each and have 10 times the admin.

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:25 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Len911 wrote:
DesireInspires wrote: People in general say surprising stuff sometimes when they're taken off guard and asked something they weren't expecting.
No it's a term used by the Library owner previously, and even advocated by him as per my previous post.

So the view is if one composer can send you 10 cues right off that the bat that fit the brief , why deal with 10 composers with one cue each and have 10 times the admin.
You are correct, if I had googled the term in your post I wouldn't have wasted my time giving this goof the benefit of the doubt,lol!
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

DesireInspires
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DesireInspires » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:26 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:

It makes sense for the library owner from a business perspective. It also benefits the one writer that was able to send in a bunch of music.

But it still sucks for everyone else. This business is rough!

MikeC
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by MikeC » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:39 pm

Thanks Michael You definitely hit the nail on the head- Mike C