Exclusive Etiquette?

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

annayarbrough
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Exclusive Etiquette?

Post by annayarbrough » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:01 pm

Random q - obviously for exclusive pitches we're submitting music that isn't signed anywhere else, but is there any particular etiquette for music that you've already pitched (but is yet unsigned)? For example, if you have pitched something to a non exclusive listing recently, is it a bad idea to submit that same music towards an exclusive listing - when there's a chance you may sign it elsewhere? Curious to know if there's any standard practice there or if it's just a free for all until there's an official signature on the table. Thx!
Anna Yarbrough
Website | Spotify | SoundCloud

DesireInspires
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Exclusive Etiquette?

Post by DesireInspires » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:12 pm

I'd say keep pitching your music everywhere until you sign a deal.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:43 pm

At first I waited until re-pitching it to another listing. Then I realised none of the Forwards I'd been holding back on had amounted to anything so I just took the attitude of keep sending them to any and all opportunities that I thought they could work for. Deals are like Unicorns ! The chances of seeing two at once are rare ( based on my 8 - 10 submissions per month )

Mark

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:44 pm

It's customary that if someone wants you to hold something for them and temporarily take it off the market that they would pay you a deposit. Because that doesn't apply here, it's more like someone shows up to buy an advertised product and it's already sold, but that doesn't mean that you don't have another product they might be interested in. It's called bait and switch if you never actually had the first product,lol! There is no deal until the contract is signed. Conversely, no one expects you to hold something for them.
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:16 pm

Just keep pitching until you sign a deal. A forward is just a forward and it may or may not result in anything.

The only thing I would NOT do is pitch a track to an EXCLUSIVE listing if it is signed anywhere else at all.

Good luck!
:D Casey

edmondredd
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by edmondredd » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:35 am

I guess everything on this subject has beed already done. And in the rare case if someone contact you later regarding the track (that was forwarded and signed with an exclusive library) and asks about it, you could simply say that the track has been signed but you'll be more than happy to provide with a similar vibe cue.. There shouldn't be an issue
edmond redd

Image Image Image Image

annayarbrough
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by annayarbrough » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:43 am

Neato. That's what I figured. Thanks guys! Can always count on you fine folk for answers 8-)
Anna Yarbrough
Website | Spotify | SoundCloud