Midi-expert needed to clean up piano-only songs

Find people to work with!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

gottheedge

Midi-expert needed to clean up piano-only songs

Post by gottheedge » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:48 am

Hi: I compose music using the piano keyboard via my DAW (Presonus Studio 3 -- current version), but I hate trying to clean up the mistakes that I make in midi. Frankly, I'm not sure that it's possible, but I'm hoping to find someone to hire that:

• I can email a midi-file of a song that I've written.
• Have them edit/clean-up the song in their DAW.
• and return the clean version to me as a midi-file.

I presume this would be easy for someone who is good at editing midi. But maybe this isn't possible. But I'd like to try.

I'm not looking for them to add anything to the composition -- just clean it up.

Also, I may like to have it put into sheet music. I know there are programs that do that, but in looking at them, it's not as clear-cut for me since reading music is also not my forte.

So if someone is interested, feel free to email me @ briankthomas@yahoo.com and let's see if we can work something out.

Respectfully,

Brian

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Midi-expert needed to clean up piano-only songs

Post by Len911 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:11 pm

If there is some kind of midi logical editor like there is in Cubase,

Usually there are presets, like delete every note that isn't a minimum length, delete overlaps, delete a certain note...

I found this:
https://s1le.wordpress.com/

https://youtu.be/R2ChGAY2wNU
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

waveheavy
Impressive
Impressive

Post by waveheavy » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:34 am

Studio One has a step record feature like most other DAW's. You might try to set it up to closely fit your playing style so you don't have as many extraneous notes. It usually involves limiting the note input from your playing to a certain note division. It's especially good for arpeggios, etc., stuff that's important rhythmically. May not be so well fitted for expressive melody parts and such.

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:54 am

There are people that do exactly what you are asking to do, but its going to cost you $$$. Most music copyist / editors bill out at $75 / hr +. I have done that in the past for composers - take MIDI, clean it up, output it to a sheet music creation program (Finale) and send PDFs of the final score and parts. It was more involved than that but its a similar process.

I would suggest you learn how to edit yourself. As mentioned, there is a sheet music module in nearly every DAW and Dave said Studio One has it as well. Usually the parts will not pass for "professionally copied music" that you could sell at a music store but they will be functional if you want to take them to a good pianist to record the music. That might be useful if you want to have compositions to submit to TAXI listings or otherwise pitch for placement in Film / TV.

Good luck!!

gottheedge

Post by gottheedge » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:42 am

Thanks Len, Dave, and Andy for your suggestions.

Andy: You're right, I may just have to buckledown and learn it myself. It's not an easy process for me.

Thanks again, all.

MrKaplan
Active
Active

Post by MrKaplan » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:43 am

Hi,

I would be happy to look at it. I work in Midi a lot and am a piano player!