Anyone familiar with Play MPE or other digital distribution services?

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ACWhammy

Anyone familiar with Play MPE or other digital distribution services?

Post by ACWhammy » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:24 pm

Hi all,

I'm looking into getting my music digitally distributed to radio stations (college, internet, etc) and the like and I've noticed there are a few services out there that offer digital distribution at a fee. My question is, if anyone can purchase distribution, is my music therefore lumped in with all the poor quality music when the company sends over the music to the radio stations? How do I know my music just doesn't end up in the radio stations spam box, or sent over with a smorgasbord of other artists that are either poor quality or of a dissimilar genres?

They also claim to send the music to music supervisors for movies, TVs, and video games.

Has anyone had experience with this and have direct knowledge?

Thank you

AC

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Anyone familiar with Play MPE or other digital distribution services?

Post by Len911 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:30 pm

Distribution is easy, it's the promotion that's the difficult part. :|
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

ochaim
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ochaim » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:10 pm

this is more of promotional service than distribution. traditionally distribution is supplying retailers with product so customers can access them. promotions contacts decision makers that grant exposure.

have you looked at the faq and how their service works? it explains a bit there. you'll see contacting supes is ab extra fee.

they contact relevant decision makers and make it possible for you to follow up wi them yourself.

they're only as good as their relationships are with these contacts.

if nothing else its a good way to test how viable your music is in your target market.

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:26 pm

I guess it depends on what you call promotion, because I would say it is more distribution.
Play MPE® is the music industry standard for digital delivery, the most widely used digital delivery system in North America.,Play MPE® delivers music to the relevant recipients of your choice.,Play MPE® allows You to promote ...,Promotion on our Daily Play MPE® site and our Facebook and Twitter pages.Prices displayed below are for a single track release (base price).
Delivers, allows you to promote, and promoted on their daily mpe site, facebook and twitter (on the last one, how are they promoting you? With a generic announcement? Yes, they are only as good as their reputations and relationships with their clients, but how are they putting their reputation and relationship on the line? They're not because they are not suggesting a few out of the many, they are only a distribution company, they don't screen or give ratings.

Distribution is easy, promotion, screening, that's a lot more difficult. Any promotional organization worth it's salt, must be selective, that's how they maintain a reputation.
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

ACWhammy

Post by ACWhammy » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:08 am

Len911 wrote:I guess it depends on what you call promotion, because I would say it is more distribution.

Delivers, allows you to promote, and promoted on their daily mpe site, facebook and twitter (on the last one, how are they promoting you? With a generic announcement? Yes, they are only as good as their reputations and relationships with their clients, but how are they putting their reputation and relationship on the line? They're not because they are not suggesting a few out of the many, they are only a distribution company, they don't screen or give ratings.

Distribution is easy, promotion, screening, that's a lot more difficult. Any promotional organization worth it's salt, must be selective, that's how they maintain a reputation.
Ok great this is the kind of answer I'm looking for. Thanks a lot!