Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

RIN-M = metadata gamechanger?

Post by Kolstad » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:38 am

I just discovered the free RIN-M plugin from Soundways:

http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home-pa ... l-its-free

Seems to work in a way where each contributor registers metadata through the plug-in, so it seems indifferent to file formats, and additional metadata from additional contributors (like cowriters, producer, mastering engineer ect.) can just be drag and dropped into the original file. Could save a lot of time for music supervisors and music libraries too, as everything they need is already registered..

Anybody tried it yet?
Ceo of my own life

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Re: RIN-M = metadata gamechanger?

Post by mojobone » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:28 pm

I have not. Looks to be pretty useful, though.
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:01 pm

Could be, Moj. Seems to depend a lot on users, though, but I guess thats the only possible solution as long as file formats differ in terms of support for metadata.
Ceo of my own life

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:42 pm

I downloaded it a few weeks back but haven't used it yet.

markhimley
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by markhimley » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:01 pm

So this would work with WAV files too then? Perfect timing - I have just been using iTunes to add all my metadata and am realizing that it's not really working with WAV files so I was wondering what a better way to do it was and this might be the answer it looks like. Thanks!

LOCK88
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by LOCK88 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:04 pm

Great find Kolstad. It's such a confusing part of what we do. I wonder if the music sups would also need this software to read all the metadata this plugin generates. In the video you linked to, it suggests that there are hundreds of lines of metadata created with this plugin.
Robb Smith / LOCK-88
Songwriter | Producer
Los Angeles, Ca
http://www.Lock88Music.com

annayarbrough
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by annayarbrough » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:16 am

markhimley wrote:So this would work with WAV files too then? Perfect timing - I have just been using iTunes to add all my metadata and am realizing that it's not really working with WAV files so I was wondering what a better way to do it was and this might be the answer it looks like. Thanks!
Watch out for iTunes -- it can be tricky. A lot of the info you edit is stored only in the iTunes database, and not the file itself.... I found out the hard way by pulling a few things in and out after editing.

I've been using mp3tag for mp3s, and if this works for wavs........ awesome. Have been trying to find something that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
Anna Yarbrough
Website | Spotify | SoundCloud

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:21 pm

Well, I'm not sure if this is thE solution to metadata issues, but it aspires to bridge a situation where senders and recievers doesn't use the same software to write and read metadata. RIN-M is an attempt to overcome this in another fashion, but still highly dependant on an agreement between writer and reciever to use it.

In fileformats metadata is encoded in the sender's end, and decoded in the recieving end, and the way software reads metadata is very different.

There seems to be a misconception that wav. files cannot contain metadata, but according to my sources, this is not true. Wav just seem to use a flexible chunk format, which other readers may skip, if they aren't programmed to read it. Thus it is important not only which encoder programme that is used, but equally important which decoder programme that is used.

http://www.robotplanet.dk/audio/wav_meta_data/

Here's a list of compatible software (updated August, 2016).

http://wavmetadata.blogspot.dk

So proper metadata needs to be a collaboration between sender and reciever, still.
Ceo of my own life

markhimley
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by markhimley » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:10 pm

All right so for those of you who are signed with libraries, and supply them with tracks - what do YOU use for metadata and WAV files?? Or do the libraries get the metadata from the Schedule A that you fill out?

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:27 pm

There is only library that I work with requires tracks to be tagged in id3 tags or similar. A very popular library with a lot of TAXI folks.

You tag your AIF or WAV within iTunes and then have to resample in iTunes as AIF 48 k 16 bit (if WAV) or just drag them out of the browser to your desktop (if AIF) and the tags stick - but only as AIF files.

Every other publisher either requires some kind of a spreadsheet that is often specially formatted so they can dump the info directly into their cue management software, or has an online meta data format that requires you tick a lot of boxes and sort though a lot of drop down menus to get the piece properly done.

Just my experience.