What's the maximum of lyrics I can copyright with the same price as one?

Before you rant, READ THIS!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

jeh

What's the maximum of lyrics I can copyright with the same price as one?

Post by jeh » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:20 pm

Is it possible to copyright a couple of lyrics with the same price of a single lyrics and what if I have to change something after I have copyrighted it? Would I have to copyright them again?

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: What's the maximum of lyrics I can copyright with the same price as one?

Post by Len911 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:47 pm

I'm not sure but are you thinking of a sound recording?? Like audio from an actual cd?

I suppose you could just group all your lyrics together in book form and submit?? Titles aren't copyrightable, so the title doesn't matter, and just title each chapter as one of your song titles, and contain the lyrics??
http://info.legalzoom.com/revision-book ... 22343.html
Depending on the changes, you may need to copyright the changes as a derivative work.
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:24 am

You can copyright as many as you want, for the same one fee, as a collection on the PA form.

HTH
:) Casey

jeh

Post by jeh » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:03 pm

Is there any way I can copyright them for free?

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:10 pm

jeh wrote:Is there any way I can copyright them for free?
No. Anything other than a real filing with the US Copyright office is not valid-- not mailing a copy to yourself, not uploading to a website, etc.

This being said, stealing is very rare and if you are short on funds, there really isn't much risk in waiting.

HTH
Casey

jeh

Post by jeh » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:52 pm

Casey H wrote:
jeh wrote:Is there any way I can copyright them for free?
No. Anything other than a real filing with the US Copyright office is not valid-- not mailing a copy to yourself, not uploading to a website, etc.

This being said, stealing is very rare and if you are short on funds, there really isn't much risk in waiting.

HTH
Casey
I don't understand what you truly meant in the second sentence!

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:13 pm

Pardon me for cutting in... been following this thread a little bit, Jeh.

And - forgive me if I'm stating something you already know - the difference being in the definition of the words.

1) Copyright = like, when you see the symbol (C), possibly with a date and next to the author's name -
it simply means that the author has put his/her creation in either written or recorded form - either or BOTH, actually;
and the author has signified OWNERSHIP rights of that piece. It does NOT necessarily mean that the author has legally
REGISTERED that work with the government office: which is the Library of Congress - for which there is a fee.

2) Registered Copyright = involves and includes THAT process of filing the appropriate documentation (or mp3) for the piece you want
to PROTECT for yourself. There is no freebie with that process.

It is my understanding, and Casey's reply was likely along the same idea: many writers do not bother with the REGISTRATION step, since the theft rate for such works... AND the legal costs involved for you if you want to go after somebody who uses/steals your material without your permission.

The costs involved in the chase rarely, if ever, meet the level worth the time & money... unless you are Paul McCartney, or any other multi-platinum person who is getting ripped off - for financial gain.

Hope that helps. I gave it a shot. :? :)

Maybe when you've written such a mega hit, and you can afford $400/hour attorneys to work for you...
get what we're sayin'?!
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:29 pm

Like Peter said, I wouldn't stress too much about filing a copyright. I assume you are concerned that someone will steal your ideas but what I was saying is that happens very rarely, much more rarely than people think. And to file a copyright infringement lawsuit in the US, you have to have significant damages (I believe over $75K). The odds that someone will take your lyrics AND make hundreds of thousands of dollars from them, are next to nil.

Caveat: I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.

What I am saying, however, is that if after reading this you still are concerned, the only thing that can be used in a US court is an actual copyright registration. Don't fall for anything else you hear or read.

I forgot to answer your original question which was what if you make changes after you file an initial copyright. You would have to file an amendment to your copyright, I don't recall what that fee is now but a few years ago it was around $115. A little steep. So if you think you are going to be changing these lyrics, I suggest holding off.

What are you planning to do with these lyrics? Are you looking for someone who writes music to collaborate with you and turn them into songs? Many lyrics-only folks have met songwriters here on this forum and been successful that way. You can't submit lyrics only to music publishers as they would not be interested. Any company that tells you they will take your lyrics and put them to music is most likely a scam. There are a bunch of crooks out there doing that so be careful.

HTH
:D Casey