ew goliath download size

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

ew goliath download size

Post by lesmac » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:56 am

I'm in the studio with a dodgy internet connection and can't seem to get a support ticket with ew to answer my question. Google not much help either, sooo.
Surely the download of the 40 Gig library would be in a zipped file? Just want to know before I drag the computer up to the home connection only to find I've exceeded my data allowance.

I upgraded the 2009 mac pro 4.1 up to El Capitan- sierra won't be supported on this old beast. {Thanks to Andy G, Len and Edmond Red for their advice many moons ago re upgrading snd backing up etc].
All in all I have chewed a bit of data with the new install and lots of other software upgrades. I left this one till last.

Waves made me do it!! When I bought that ssl channel e plugin [and the API2500] I found my old Mountain Lion was no longer supported by the Waves installation centre.

Anyway can any of you fine gentlemen and ladies shed some light?

Thanks

Lester

ecurb
Impressive
Impressive

Re: ew goliath download size

Post by ecurb » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:04 am

Hi Lester,

I can't tell you for sure, as I'm not on Composer Cloud (my EastWest stuff all came on a DVD when I got one of their collections a few years back) - but I'm pretty certain zipping wouldn't help much if at all. The bulk of the libraries are of course the instrument sound samples, and they're already packed as tight as can go. I just tested this theory by zipping up a 575 MB instrument samples folder picked at random from EW Hollywood Brass, using 7-zip. The "compressed" file came to 582 MB :P

Cheers
Bruce.

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by lesmac » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:04 am

Thanks for doing that experiment Bruce. :)

I have 20Gb left of my usual 50 so I may have to do the download at the end of the month to share it across two billing periods.

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:19 am

If it's Composer Cloud it's not zipped. Set it up to download before you go to bed.

Conversely I believe they will provide a disk, but not sure of the additional cost.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by lesmac » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:43 am

Thanks Vikki, I haven't activated composer cloud as my studio internet connection is my mobile phone!

Trying to suss things out I attempted to submit a case with the support centre but that didn't work for me.

I did get a message to them through chat so we'll see what comes up.

I'm upgrading the version of Play from 4. something to 5 something and one needs to re download the samples and effects which is much larger than the original install from 2014.

I hope the auditioning of instruments is a bit quicker in the new version.

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:54 am

I think probably what you need is a "download manager". They can usually schedule downloads, and if the download is interrupted they can usually pickup where they left off. So I would think if you only downloaded say 20gb and quit, then you could start it up again and download the rest??

You might have to do some of it manually if you have to log in to east-west everytime, but I would think you could just download however much and interrupt the download after so many gigs, and resume later??

With a download manager, I would think you could use your dodgy studio internet connection, and not need to drag your computer around.
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by lesmac » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:50 pm

I think probably what you need is a "download manager". They can usually schedule downloads, and if the download is interrupted they can usually pickup where they left off. So I would think if you only downloaded say 20gb and quit, then you could start it up again and download the rest??
I will check out a download manager, thanks Len.
With a download manager, I would think you could use your dodgy studio internet connection, and not need to drag your computer around.
The dodgy internet connection is tethering to my phone which only has a 10gig allowance and the transfer is a bit slow. It is good for googling, sound clouding and using the taxi forums. 8-)

East West Soundsonline got back to me and said the download comes in zipped files but they wouldn't be a lot smaller than when opened.

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by lesmac » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:44 pm

Solved :!: 8-) with a data top up. My plan allows me three times a year to double my data. Doh :oops:

At least we worked out that the samples are zipped but not much smaller.

Thanks for the replies.