Split Sheet Q

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

annayarbrough
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Split Sheet Q

Post by annayarbrough » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:24 am

Hey guys.

I've got a situation where a work-for-hire (I'm the one being hired) may turn into a collaboration instead.

I'm familiar with split sheets, but I'm curious about one thing -- if I'm going to be approaching this from a co-writing perspective and no longer charging anything outright, is there a way to protect yourself when you're working with someone 'unknown'?

By that I mean that I've never met this person -- just online contact (and have obviously heard their work!)

I doubt that this would happen in this case, but for example, is there any way to protect yourself if you essentially hand over a track and then they never do anything with it? Some kind of clause you write into your split sheet (kind of like a reversion)?

Also, is a split shit sufficient legal documentation if the track was taken and used, but you never receive the final master?

Like I said, highly doubt that any of this is going to be an issue in this case. Just want to make sure that I'm covering all bases in my knowledge!

Thanks in advance
Anna Yarbrough
Website | Spotify | SoundCloud

edmondredd
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Split Sheet Q

Post by edmondredd » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:58 pm

Not a lawyer, but here are few things you could consider:
- an agreement could work, but bare in mind it's not a contract. So it might not work in some legal cases. Should you need a legal contract, you'd hire a lawyer.
- Regarding the work modification: you could state something similar to :you could jointly make any alteration or allow others to do so, but any such amendment, alteration, or otherwise won't affect the agreed split
- Regarding the work promotion you could add something that goes like: you may jointly or separately promote the work, or allow others to do so, but neither party may commit the other party to any expense, loss of earnings without the consent of the other party, save that no reasonable request for consent shall be withheld
- You could also have a revision clause, but it you have a publisher deal, this one would eventually supersede your agreement

In my personal opinion, build a strong trusty relationship with your collaborators, and I don't think you will need to worry about all of these

oh, and there is a link somewhere here in the forums to some agreements templates.. I'll try to link it in here
edmond redd

Image Image Image Image

annayarbrough
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Split Sheet Q

Post by annayarbrough » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:04 pm

Thanks for taking the time, Edmond!
Anna Yarbrough
Website | Spotify | SoundCloud