15 & 30 sec edit?

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

sservida

15 & 30 sec edit?

Post by sservida » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:47 am

Hey guys,

So I've gotten a song signed to a library for the first time and they are asking me for a 15 & 30 second edit of my song. Can someone please explain to me what this means? Thanks :)

cassmcentee
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: 15 & 30 sec edit?

Post by cassmcentee » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:18 am

Here is a link to a conversation on edits
any-tips-for-commercial-edits-t136871.h ... t%20points
Congrats on the deal!
Cass
Robert "Cass" McEntee
"Making music on a spinning ball of Magma"
https://soundcloud.com/robert-cass-mcentee
https://www.taxi.com/members/DosPalmasRecordings

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:36 pm

Basically, chop your song to create versions that are exactly (or as close as possible under but not over) those lengths. If you have the mix stems in a DAW you should be able to do this by editing them, although it might be more difficult if you just have a final master version. The end result should be musically valid (i.e. no point at all just fading in and out to make 15s and 30s versions). Try just the last chorus through to the ending, or a pre-chorus plus the final chorus. You might even tack the ending onto the intro, so long as it makes the length up and sounds like a complete (albeit short) piece of music. Clean starts and ends are always preferred, rather than fades, although the final ring-out is allowed and also provides a bit of additional scope for trimming the length. Work on a separate version of the mix stems, and it is often convenient to completely duplicate them after the main mix to give you a starting point (so you keep the mixer and plugin settings). Use your DAW's time rulers and markers to help you find portions of the song that could be used to make up the required length.

Good luck with your editing. :)
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

davekropf
Impressive
Impressive

Post by davekropf » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:54 am

I would also recommend arranging in MIDI, if possible. I find only editing audio can yield to odd results, but reworking the actual virtual instruments can lead to more musical cutdowns.

Obviously, if you're dealing with all recorded audio, then that's not really an option.