What To Bring To The Road Rally (2019 Edition!)

Talk about the rally here.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

markhimley
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: What To Bring To The Road Rally (2016 Edition!)

Post by markhimley » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:20 pm

Do you all burn your cd's at home, or where would you recommend having them made at? I would assume it's better to have a professional looking cd than just a generic burnable right?

Thanks!

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:24 pm

markhimley wrote:Do you all burn your cd's at home, or where would you recommend having them made at? I would assume it's better to have a professional looking cd than just a generic burnable right?

Thanks!
If you are marketing yourself as an artist looking for a label deal, professional packaging is best. However, I have found that if you are targeting Film/TV music libraries and supervisors, home burned CDs with packaging that is neat, clear, and readable is fine. Most Film/TV folks that I've dealt with are more concerned with the music. Make sure your CD labeling has the track list, genre(s), and your contact info. IMPORTANT: Your track list must be on the case or envelope, never just on the CD. Folks still listen in the car and want to glace down at the titles while listening. Your contact info must be on both the CD and the packaging-- these things can easily get separated.

For the rally, I personally feel that CD envelopes are better than jewel cases. Music execs are often traveling from out of town just like us and all those CDs in jewel cases clog up their suitcases. It wouldn't surprise me if many CDs get thrown out before they check out of the hotel. Envelopes have the advantage of being light and portable. I use stick on shipping labels for the track list, contact info, etc.

Just my humble opinion and experience.

Best,
:D Casey

markhimley
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by markhimley » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:45 pm

Thanks for getting back to me so soon, Casey!

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:44 am

Yet another question about CDs if you can stand it (sorry to pester) :lol:

For folk who compose instrumental tracks spanning several genres, would you suggest carrying several different CD's that each focus on a distinct style, or is it better to have just one CD with examples from all the different genres? I don't fancy using up all my luggage allowance with CDs :)

Incidentally, if anyone's interested in good quality CD labelling, I just bought a Canon Pixma iP7250 (£44 from Argos in the UK) that prints text and/or photos directly onto white printable CDs (no stick-on labels needed). I'm very impressed with the results. I hope the inks last and don't dry up though, because they cost about the same as the printer! :lol: What I need to find now are some labels that fit inside the plastic CD sleeve (not Jewel case) so I can print the same on those too. Oh, and VistaPrint will print a batch of business cards for just under £10 (and I think you can even get discount on that price if you can find a code).
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:52 am

Telefunkin wrote:Yet another question about CDs if you can stand it (sorry to pester) :lol:

For folk who compose instrumental tracks spanning several genres, would you suggest carrying several different CD's that each focus on a distinct style, or is it better to have just one CD with examples from all the different genres? I don't fancy using up all my luggage allowance with CDs :)
My OPINION is one CD with the different genres grouped together and clearly labeled.

GENRE 1
1. Track A
2. Track B
3. Track C

GENRE 2
4. Track A
5. Track B
6. Track C

etc.

HTH!

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:06 am

Thanks Casey, that's very helpful. I'm glad you're around to advise us all. THANK YOU! :)
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

steveboy
Impressive
Impressive

Post by steveboy » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:27 pm

Casey H wrote:
Telefunkin wrote:Yet another question about CDs if you can stand it (sorry to pester) :lol:

My OPINION is one CD with the different genres grouped together and clearly labeled.

GENRE 1
1. Track A
2. Track B
3. Track C

GENRE 2
4. Track A
5. Track B
6. Track C

etc.

HTH!
Thanks for all the excellent info Casey and Co. I'm due for some new business cards and thought I'd see if there's anything to add to the already stated:

Name
Email
Phone #
Music- In my case, Soundcloud

Thanks gang! Looking forward to meeting and hangin' with a bunch of you!

magicjuani
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by magicjuani » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:46 am

Casey H wrote:What To Bring To The Road Rally

People are always asking what to bring to the road rally and there have been many great threads and posts about that. I thought I’d revisit this and summarize my thoughts for 2012. Additional comments and suggestions are very welcome! :D

OK, here goes…

* An open mind

* Pen and paper

* Business cards… Most important item probably! Make sure it has your name, email address, phone number, and a link to your music. Simple is fine.

* CDs…. This is one of the most discussed subjects. What kind, how many, etc? There are three main reasons to bring CDs. You can use the same CDs for all purposes or make different ones.

Note for ALL CDs regardless of purpose: Always make sure your track list, name and contact information (email and phone) are on both the outside packaging and the CD. These things can get separated. This applies to envelopes as well as jewel cases. When I do envelopes I use a computer printed stick-on label with that info. Track lists on packaging are very important. Once a CD is in a car player, for example, the listener can’t read what’s printed on it. NEVER put your track list ONLY on the CD.

I find that for the RALLY, envelopes are better than jewel cases because of ease of packing both for you and anyone you give a CD to. If you are an artist with fully packaged, mastered CDs in jewel cases, that might be an exception. Of course, for everyone else, having some in jewel cases for “special” contacts can’t hurt. Just use those sparingly.

Back to those three purposes…

-1- Give to industry contacts. Chances are you’ll give out way less of these than you might think when coming for the first time. Certainly be prepared with 15-20 of these but keep in mind that making contacts, exchanging business cards, and following up later (such as a week later) usually works best. Industry folks at the rally get inundated with folks handing them CDs. They probably toss a lot of them in the trash. Running up to these people and shoving CDs at them is a bad idea. If you meet someone at the bar or some other setting, strike up a conversation and they ask YOU for a CD, that’s a good time to give them one.

These CDs should obviously have your absolute best work. You don’t need a lot of tracks on them because you either wow them with the first 1-3 or forget it. At least make sure the first few tracks are the best ones. That’s what will matter. (If you absolutely need a recommended number of tracks, I'd say in the 3-8 range).

People always ask if it’s OK to put tracks on CDs that are already signed exclusively. Opinions vary on this but MY opinion is since you are often trying to show what you CAN do, it’s fine. If you get contacted about one of those tracks, you can tell the other party the track is signed but you can write more like that for them.

-2- Give to your mentor (one on one session, in case they ask) and the mentors at mentor lunches. If you attend a mentor lunch, most mentors will take CDs from everyone at each table. So for each mentor lunch you attend, assume 5-6 CDs from your stash.

-3- Dropping for listening panels. Many will want to drop CDs in the boxes for random selection for listening by an A&R panel. Taxi provides stick-on labels for this purpose whereby you can indicate the genre and track number. So you CAN use CDs from the same batch as for #1 above (then bring a few more) or you can make a few one song CDs just for this purpose. Although after the panels it is possible to get your CD back, it’s very hectic and crowded so you should consider any CD you drop for a panel as expendable. Plan on NOT getting it back. You may or may not.

-4- For use in a class. In some classes, you can hand CDs up to the instructor who will pick some from the audience, listen and comment as part of the class. Again, you can use CDs from #1 above and put a note on it as to which track or bring a few one song CDs for this purpose. You’ll probably get these CDs back after the class unless the instructor loves your song so much they ask to take the CD. It happens once in a while.

* Lyric Sheets and Rubber bands. In classes whereby you drop a CD for the instructor, you will be asked to include a lyric sheet, folded up, and attached by rubber band to the CD.

* Lead sheets- lyrics and chords. This is only if you may want to do a song at one of the open mics and want to ask a friend to sit in and perform with you. Then these come in handy.

That’s all for now… I’ll come back with edits and additions per corrections and suggestions.

Thank you very much Casey!
Priceless post! I will definitely go back on this ROAD RALLY "101" before my L.A trip!
That's also a genuine way to act pro!

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: What To Bring To The Road Rally (2019 Edition!)

Post by Casey H » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:00 am

Updated for 2019! :D