Eggs & Baskets

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Eggs & Baskets

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:27 am

eeoo wrote:Just to throw a wrench in the proceedings, one of my most productive publishers only has 6 of my cues. They do an upfront buyout so they are confident that what they sign will get used but still, for only having 6 of my cues they are ridiculously productive.

EO
Good to know !...what sort of cues are they? ...Guessing they are not typical run of the mill reality TV fodder ?

Still on the hunt for the elusive up front paying Library..do you still get backend writers share or not ?

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by eeoo » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:39 am

Yes, I get my writer's share of backend but they effectively buyout what would normally be my share of sync money. The cues are Post Rock stuff, ala Explosions In The Sky. Got this deal through Dispatch a couple years ago, by the way.

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:56 am

Great post Mark, and very interesting replies.

It must be nice to have so many baskets to place your eggs in. :mrgreen: After a couple of years I've had loads of forwards but just 3 follow-ups. One was my first library, the second was a dud (discussed elsewhere) and the third was the same library I'm already with!! :roll: :lol: . That library hasn't earned me any placements yet, but seems to be changing gear very recently and getting more high profile clients, so I'm now happier to load them up - 18 tracks signed so far. By Matt's statistics, that's not so many but I'll be sending them more, no doubt.

The path to other libraries seems to be getting ever-more elusive though. At the time I joined Taxi there was a good proportion of instrumental listings (which is what I submit). The bias has swung heavily towards songs now, so I don't even submit as much any more (or have many of the instrumental gone on dispatch ?). Personally, I'd be happy to see the pendulum swing back but I realise many songwriters would be less happy. Better still, more of both!
Otherwise, the advice to concentrate on your strongest genre is increasingly difficult. I'm still not sure what mine is :?

Anyway, I'm still hoping for another basket to show up. Until then, I'll just carry on laying those eggs :lol: .
Best of luck to all those with plenty of baskets....and eggs (OK, enough of this metaphor :lol: )

By the way, and just to make it clear, I'm not grumbling. On the contrary, I'm really, truly grateful to Taxi for getting me into that library. We all have to start somewhere, and I wouldn't have got going at all without Taxi. :)
Last edited by Telefunkin on Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

edmondredd
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by edmondredd » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:55 am

Telefunkin wrote:Great post Mark, and very interesting replies.
Indeed, and love to read everyone's point of view on the matter
Telefunkin wrote: At the time I joined Taxi there was a good proportion of instrumental listings (which is what I submit). The bias has swung heavily towards songs now, so I don't even submit as much any more (or have many of the instrumental gone on dispatch ?).
I was wondering about the same actually. My submission rate went way down, especially that I do a very specific niche, that's barely on the listings recently.
Telefunkin wrote: Otherwise, the advice to concentrate on your strongest genre is increasingly difficult. I'm still not sure what mine is :?
The one you feel you enjoy doing the most :)
Telefunkin wrote:By the way, and just to make it clear, I'm not grumbling. On the contrary, I'm really, truly grateful to Taxi for getting me into that library. We all have to start somewhere, and I wouldn't have got going at all with Taxi. :)
That's true, and I hope to see you at the Rally ;)
edmond redd

Image Image Image Image

keithl
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by keithl » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:08 pm

I agree. It is going to take a little time to feel out how your publishing connections work. Some may do well with certain genres, so it would make no sense throwing your heavy metal cues to them. They may kick butt in dance type tracks. After a while, you can get an idea of what tracks of yours would work best with certain publishers.

As long as you are continually "moving forward" by creating music and submitting them to your connections, as well as trying to open some more doors via TAXI submissions, I think you will definitely be in a good place.