New library - terms?

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

mrdtman
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

New library - terms?

Post by mrdtman » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:14 pm

I have been contacted by a library as a result of a TAXI forward ( yea! ) but I have a question about their terms as I'm learning about all this. It is a non- exclusive contract and the term for the license is 'perpetual and irrevocable', so anything uploaded and excepted is not eligible for removal or take-down, subject to certain conditions. Are these types of conditions normal?

DT

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: New library - terms?

Post by hummingbird » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:00 am

You are placing the track on an non-exclusive basis forever. That doesn't stop you from shopping the track to other non-exclusive opportunities. But it does stop you from going back to the library to remove the track if you get an exclusive offer for it. Ergo, once signed, it can only be signed to other non-exclusives. If all else in the deal looks good, I'd probably go for it. I keep track of where my cues are signed and under what terms so that I don't inadvertently shop signed tracks to exclusives.

Congrats on getting an offer!
HTH
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

mrdtman
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: New library - terms?

Post by mrdtman » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:20 pm

hummingbird wrote:You are placing the track on an non-exclusive basis forever. That doesn't stop you from shopping the track to other non-exclusive opportunities. But it does stop you from going back to the library to remove the track if you get an exclusive offer for it. Ergo, once signed, it can only be signed to other non-exclusives. If all else in the deal looks good, I'd probably go for it. I keep track of where my cues are signed and under what terms so that I don't inadvertently shop signed tracks to exclusives.

Congrats on getting an offer!
HTH
Thanks Vikki! :)