should you keep or discard returned songs

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ronnie35
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

should you keep or discard returned songs

Post by ronnie35 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:24 am

So, The returned songs I have is it a good thing to keep them? What is the chance that another music library would pick them up? or are they cluttering things up.

Ron :?
Chopin: "Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties. After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art." http://www.ronschultz.org

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: should you keep or discard returned songs

Post by hummingbird » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:07 am

Hi Ronnie.. I think that would depend on what the reason for return is. If it's off target then it can be pitched again. If there are issues with the composition or production, they might be fixable, if not, it's still a good learning experience. For myself, I don't throw anything away. I will sometimes go back and listen to older tracks and glean something from them in terms of inspiration or even a 'makeover' of that idea with new skills/tools. JMHO
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:52 am

Hey Ron, what do you mean by "keep them"? If you mean keep them in your files and on your hard drive, then always. If you mean keep pitching them after multiple rejections, then maybe. If you can assess the critiques and make changes for the better, then I'd keep pitching to libraries or listings. But if you mean "should I delete them and forget they ever existed", then the answer is Never. Save everything.

~~Matt

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:43 pm

+1 Matthew
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:26 am

ronnie35 wrote:So, The returned songs I have is it a good thing to keep them? What is the chance that another music library would pick them up? or are they cluttering things up.

Ron :?
I look at it like there are 2 types of return:-

1. A good track that is not right for the Listing

2. A track that is not good enough period

So the first type are kept for other opportunities, the 2nd type I will take a break from and then go back at a later date to see if it's fixable. Most of my returns are signed with Libraries now.

Mark

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:53 pm

Never through anything away.

Pitch to other opps as is, re-write and/or re-record as needed, use the ideas for another track, send it to a collaborator, etc. are all good options.

I have tons of scraps I go back to now and then. Sometimes I take part of an old song that didn't work and combine it with new parts, by myself or with a collaborator. Sometimes I take a vocal song that I didn't have success with and turn the musical ideas into a cue (also with or without a collaborator). I can't tell you how many SUCCESSFUL(*) tracks I have that are combinations of old scrap material. (*) By "successful" I mean at least signed with a decent library.

:D Casey

ronnie35
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ronnie35 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:08 pm

Thanks Everyone truly appreciated

Ron :)
Chopin: "Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties. After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art." http://www.ronschultz.org