Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

davekropf
Impressive
Impressive

Thematic Development in Tension-Building Listing

Post by davekropf » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:50 am

Hi all,

I was hoping to get some thoughts on the incorporation of thematic material for this current listing, specifically as it relates to the references.

There's not a ton of actual melodic work being used in the references, although the brief requests cues be build around a "simple, focused melodic theme." Admittedly, I do hear some thematic "fragments," if you will, in the Desplat reference, but I'm not so sure about the Jóhannson ones (especially "The Border").

I'm curious what your collective takes are. How much thematic mojo is too much for a listing like this?

Thanks in advance!

---------

TENSION-BUILDING INSTRUMENTAL UNDERSCORE CUES are needed by a NON-Exclusive Music Library that’s supplying music to a hit HBO TV show. They’re on the hunt for great Instrumental Cues that can generally match the vibe, style, and serious intensity of these references we got from the library:

Sicario Soundtrack - The Border: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tREkYd7B2Fs

“Area 51” by Alexandre Desplat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFTDNRdjTyE

Sicario Soundtrack - The Beast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hdm5EkaPdeY

Please submit well-crafted Instrumental Cues that have a serious tone/mood, yet are somewhat subtle, and can still move a scene forward. If your Cue can add some tension to a scene without being busy or frenetic, you could be in the ballpark! Build your submissions around a simple, focused melodic theme, while adding and subtracting various instruments as it progresses to give your Cue some interest, dynamics, forward movement and to keep it from sounding overly repetitive.

TAXI Tip: The examples above are really your best guide for this pitch, but they’re not looking for clones!

Your Cues should be approximately 90 seconds long, give or take. Non-faded endings with a natural decay/ring out are recommended. This TV Series has a high standard for the music they use, so please make sure to submit your very best material for this pitch! Broadcast Quality is needed (great sounding home recordings are fine).

This Library offers a NON-Exclusive 50/50 deal. You’ll get 50% of any applicable sync fees and 100% of the Writer’s share. The Publisher will get 50% of any sync fees and 100% of the Publisher’s share. You must own or control your Master and Composition to submit to this pitch. Please submit one to three Instrumental Cues online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI and must be received no later than 11:59PM (PDT), on Tuesday, August 8th, 2017. TAXI #S170808SI

waveheavy
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Thematic Development in Tension-Building Listing

Post by waveheavy » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:19 am

I understand what you mean Dave. I consider Alexander Desplat one of today's best film composers, and notice he didn't use a well defined 'theme' either for "Area 51". He laid down a low string section pad acting as a drone, and then laid an arpeggio on top of that with moving it around in the upper strings, and then maybe a cello might have played a short melody, but not much of one before the pizzicato string part came in. Then the end was drone heavy in the low strings.

I think some who make up the listings throw in certain phrases borrowed from other listings. The reference to a "melodic theme" could be one of those cases. Tension and Action cues usually have very little melody or none at all.

mikehamm123
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Thematic Development in Tension-Building Listing

Post by mikehamm123 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:18 am

I've noticed this too.

In this sort of case, could just be calling for a simple, catchy riff rather a 'theme' i.e. developing melody line.
Mike

===========

https://mikehammmusic.com