The Circuit Rider

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

joesarahh

The Circuit Rider

Post by joesarahh » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:58 pm

Looking for some feedback on this, particularly the engineering or any other critique. I am also trying to place it in genera, I am thinking Americana or Dark Country but maybe you have a better idea. Thanks, Joe https://soundcloud.com/joesarahh/the-ci ... der-master

billhewett
Impressive
Impressive

Re: The Circuit Rider

Post by billhewett » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:00 pm

Hi Joe,

Very cool track. From a production standpoint the only think that stuck out to me was the stereo vocals in the chorus. Rather than give it more power it completely took the center out of the mix. In addition there are spots in the second and third choruses where I think the enunciation is slightly different in the left and right. If you want that kind of effect I would try a center vocal and then two more for stereo, but at a much lower volume so they don't distract too much from the center. I think it's ok in the other places where you go stereo with the vocals (or have a second voice in the right speaker only) because they aren't dependent on the power of the voice.

As far as genre goes... jeez, that's a tough call. The two things that came to mind for me were "this would work for a TV show in the style of Firefly, or anything leaning toward Steam Punk", and "I could hear second generation Wall Of Voodoo (post Stan Ridgway) doing this song".

Also, something about the production sounded kind of dated to me, but I can't quite put my finger on it. From both a production and genre angle this could be an issue, because a new Steampunk show might want something more modern, and fitting in a genre can be tough if something is dated but is not necessarily in a dated genre, if that makes sense. I wish I could tell you what makes me say it sounds dated... all I know is that I really like it because it somehow brings me back to my college days, and those were a long time ago ;o)

Hope this helps!

-Bill