Recording While Cooking Food = Bad Idea! :D

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Merryband1
Impressive
Impressive

Recording While Cooking Food = Bad Idea! :D

Post by Merryband1 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:04 pm

To be perfectly clear, I started recording way before time to fix dinner, but then the news came on. And the air conditioner. Recording set up in kitchen, a bad idea to begin with, as we have two refrigerators that take turns humming to life. BUT, I finally got both refrigerators off at the same time, so it was time to record the vocal. I'd already started the spaghetti, so I moved the pans off the burners, turned off the fans and air conditioner and went to work. Got several good takes, which I intend to mix down for the Singer/Songwriter listing expiring tonight. Alas, I didn't realize the spatula had been dragged onto the burner (thankful it didn't melt!). So, after singing, when I went to turn the pans back on, I picked up the spatula & burned my right thumb & a couple of fingers. I put aloe vera on the burns immediately (right after I dropped the spatula on the floor!), and now my thumb and fingers are back to normal. I got a clean spatula, and the spaghetti is boiling away, so this is it for now. Just a simple reminder that, if you don't have the luxury of a recording studio, or a spare bedroom, you CAN record almost anywhere. Just remember not to try to cook at the same time! ;)

Merry

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Recording While Cooking Food = Bad Idea! :D

Post by lesmac » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:01 pm

Merry, your spatula levels are way too hot if you are not careful you'll clip your refrigerators and end up with distortion on your noise floor. :lol:

LOCK88
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by LOCK88 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:34 pm

lesmac wrote:Merry, your spatula levels are way too hot if you are not careful you'll clip your refrigerators and end up with distortion on your noise floor. :lol:
+1 Les, Classic Merry. This sounds like a great lyric for your next track! Once again Merry, I am starving after reading your posts....
Robb Smith / LOCK-88
Songwriter | Producer
Los Angeles, Ca
http://www.Lock88Music.com

Merryband1
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Merryband1 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:40 pm

:D Awwww, Robb. I'm sorry! Thanks for the song idea, though! Who knows, maybe it'll end up on the Food Network! :lol:

Just got the song mixed, remixed, remixed again, mp3'd with metadata (and it works! Yay!), uploaded to TAXI, and submitted to the Singer/Songwriter listing expiring in a few minutes! Really hoping for a forward on this one! You can have a listen to "I'm Not Gonna Love Any More" here: https://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home. ... arionfaith

Merry

PS the spaghetti was good, and just what I needed after a long day of recording! :)

annayarbrough
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by annayarbrough » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:53 am

Haha, yikes! Glad to hear you're okay!
Anna Yarbrough
Website | Spotify | SoundCloud

Merryband1
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Merryband1 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:11 pm

Thanks, Anna! Me, too! I'd probably be in bad shape if it weren't for the aloe vera!

Meanwhile, while tuning my friend's lute, the #1 string part (not sure what it's called) broke again! He fixed it before lending it to me (with epoxy). After it broke the first time, I used epoxy to fix it. This time I'm using carpenter's glue. If that fails, I think he'll have to make a new part for it, because the mahogany just isn't strong enough. While that's very frustrating, at least I'm getting the other strings more or less tuned. I looked online & discovered there is such a thing as a peg turner for lutes. Of course, the online music store was out of stock, but still, good to know it exists. One of these days, I'll get a lute of my own. But I won't cook with it in the kitchen! :D

Merry

markhimley
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by markhimley » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:00 pm

haha glad you're ok!! You gave me a good laugh though, thanks for that :lol:

You never though, that could have been a happy accident! After all, one of Trent Reznor's main sounds in The Social Network was a drone he made from sampling an air conditioner, I figure the hum of a refrigerator could maybe be similar? :lol:

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:18 am

Beware of burnt toast popping out from your CD burner.
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

Merryband1
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Merryband1 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:57 pm

:lol: Great idea, Mark! Maybe I'll sample the fridge, the air conditioner, the ceiling fan, and the hum in my laptop. And you're welcome for the laugh. :)

Peter, I used to want Video Toaster! CD toast, not so much! :D

Merry